General discussion forum.
Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Bayvistafarm » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:43 pm

WLLady wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:28 am
NO GOATS!!!!! EVER!!!!!
You said that about guinea's..... after you got rid of the first ones you got. Then you said it again.... and again..... and you thought about , at first.... getting rid of those too..... LMAO.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:15 pm

Racist horse hmmm go figure
Probably just dumped um together & didn’t give time to assimilate .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:02 pm

Bayvistafarm wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:43 pm
WLLady wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:28 am
NO GOATS!!!!! EVER!!!!!
You said that about guinea's..... after you got rid of the first ones you got. Then you said it again.... and again..... and you thought about , at first.... getting rid of those too..... LMAO.
HAHAHAHAAHAHA! what you don't know is we just can't catch the darned guineas to do anything about them!!!!! (and i hate ticks more. thinking of which, my neighbour just texted me a photo of the tick she found just a few minutes ago).

Well, it's blowing up a storm here, this is insane wind. Just insane.

We got all the birds moved into the first floor of the barn, and mostly everyone is happy. My DH helped move the nesting boxes in and i did the strenuous job of putting shavings into them. sigh. I feel like such a wuss. Started tripping over my toes again....had to stop doing anything. sigh. we did pull the hose from the loft out, and we'll clean those pens later. I did put the heated buckets in for everyone and the trough heater, so that's also done. We did not do the ducks today, because it's been pouring rain since before we got up this morning. So i guess that will happen later on-maybe tuesday when DH doesn't have to teach, or next weekend.
Stay safe everyone.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:03 pm

Were thinking of you @WLLady was blowing here a bit too, lost hydro for a bit, but nothing compared to Southern Ont.

Passed a Drive Test today, feel very accomplished ;) Good for another 6 years and Here is hoping we will have self-driving cars by then, wouldn't want to repeat that experience.
The place is in just as much disarray as it was 2 month ago, it's hard to imagine any private business would survive if it was run with such blatant incompetence.

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:26 am

Congrats OC! I apparently need a photo since i go online to renew and it says "nope, can't". So now i get to find an open service ontario somewhere...hopefully not too far away. And this is the year for everything it seems. Hunting/fishing license, drivers license, license plate stickers, health card. I honestly believe that whoever thought up using your birthday as the expiry day should have been born in january. I so love running around in the blowing snow to get all this crap done!

The wind was brutal for an entire 24 hours....we lost the chimney cap again, and our one burn barrel went for a bit of a tour, but amazingly the greenhouse held together (although the wind did rattle the closed/locked door hard enough that the handle loosened!). A few more trees down around the place, but the hydro stayed on. I guess just east of us got it worse, and apparently there was a tornado south of tillsonburg by the lake??! In November.

Still nursing my back and off work. waiting and waiting. I need to call today and find out if they even have a booking for the MRI yet. The wait times are almost half a year right now. I'll either be healed up or more damaged by then! I did help with chores a couple nights ago, and spend the entire next day on the sofa. Sigh. My class/course transitioned to another person yesterday. I really want to be at work, but no clue how to get there are survive a day. For sure i'm not moving CO2 tanks or liquid nitrogen tanks whenever i end up back at work. Found a new farrier for the horses. Mine, ironically, has a sore back and decided she wasn't going to trim draft horses any more. So yesterday we had a new young lady come out and she was great with the ponies....and for the first time in a LONG time molly didn't limp after being trimmed-she managed to hold her back feet nice and close to the ground so her arthritis in her hips didn't hurt after the trim. So i'm very happy about that. Back onto a 6 week trim schedule yay! Nice to have that problem solved.

I guess today I get to select another book from the shelf. And hold down the sofa again. It's good that I'm scared of leaning over and breaking the other rod, stops me from doing random things like making cookies.....haha.
On a good note, the birds all seem to have taken the move and combining into 2 pens (even with several roosters) in stride. A few squabbles, but everyone was happy and laying eggs and puttering around the last 2 days.
Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:06 pm

Good stuff Kathy . Let the mind & medical heal the wound . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:31 pm

Well my silly turkey Mama has decided she would like more babies so I'm breaking her up. When I pick her off her nest she just gives me those sad turkey eyes! I just shipped her kids off on Sunday to NB and she seemed pleased to get rid of the Jake who, at 20 weeks, had designs on her honour!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:24 pm

Not quite morning any more....but good day everyone! It's done. We are down to 8 ducks (4 for @Bayvistafarm, 4 for us. The rest are now curing in the fridge for the next 5 days to become pastrami and montreal smoked duck. Not sure how I feel about it all. Waiting on an MRI and cannot, absolutely cannot do anything without painkillers, and very little with the painkillers. sigh. Hopefully the MRI will be soon.

So now we are down to 14 guineas. 8 ducks. about 25 hens and 6 roosters. 6 turkeys. 2 horses. All on the main floor of the barn. Just seems wrong. odd. different. quiet. empty. So empty. Realized i haven't fed the mealworms yet this week-i better go and do. I'm sure there's a pile ready to freeze for the bluebirds next spring. Need to bring in the rain gauge and the mealworm feeder. I want to get a bird feeder this year for suet cakes for the wild birds, so guess i should see if i can, first, find the old bird feeder (seed feeder) and then see if the suet cakes will fit in the extra salt block holder that i have in the barn that the horses kind of squished so it's too narrow for a salt block and i can't unbend it....

Having a bit of sun tonight is nice, and finally no wind. FINALLY. it's been windy all week here.
So i guess that's that. Thank you to DH for all the hard work.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:50 pm

The smoked duck sounds delish. What recipe do you use for the cure?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:37 pm

i will put the recipes up in the recipe section...they are amazing. this time i am not going to smoke them though, just slow low bake. we find the smoke gives us each a headache and i did some turkey without and it was perfect....

Return to “Around the Waterer”