labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Good Morning!

Post by labradors » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:04 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:06 pm
ross wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:49 pm
Lay your walnuts in the tire grooves of your lane way & drive over them every day till the shell pops off . Check frequently. Old fashion way .
Tried that too, didn't work, drove the butternuts in to the ground and made divots in the tires ;)
Sounds like a fun way to plant a grove of butternut trees :).

Linda

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:16 pm

Brings back great childhood memories of mom and dad laying black walnuts from our trees on the driveway, dad laying heavy boards over them and then driving the farm truck or tractor over the boards. Our job as kids (6 of us) was to harvest the walnut meat left on the lane. Our only source of walnuts for all the wonderful Christmas baking mom did. The rest of the year dad just cursed those trees for the mess they made etc....

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:42 pm

well sad to say it has begun. 6 turkeys out. all the ameraucanas gone. welsummers. welbars. cockerels processed....tomorrow the rest of the turkeys go and maybe start on ducks if we atill have any energy left. found out i cannot do the stairs to the loft anymore in the barn. argh. this sucks. keeping a quad of royal palms, the 2 red slates, the welbar lines, 4 ducks, the guineas, and a handful of layers (a few ameraucanas, a couple leghorms), for different coloured eggs. should be mostly finished by the end of the weekend...
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:20 pm

Sorry Kathy ... 😢🦧
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Gwynbleidd
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Gwynbleidd » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:03 am

WLLady wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:42 pm
well sad to say it has begun. 6 turkeys out. all the ameraucanas gone. welsummers. welbars. cockerels processed....tomorrow the rest of the turkeys go and maybe start on ducks if we atill have any energy left. found out i cannot do the stairs to the loft anymore in the barn. argh. this sucks. keeping a quad of royal palms, the 2 red slates, the welbar lines, 4 ducks, the guineas, and a handful of layers (a few ameraucanas, a couple leghorms), for different coloured eggs. should be mostly finished by the end of the weekend...
So sorry to hear that. I hope everything will be fine, take care!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:44 am

Sorry Kathy.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:56 am

:hug: Kathy

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:51 am

I went yesterday and got the six turkeys. Two trio's, one to a neighbor and one to a 16 yr old Menonite girl, both wanted to start a turkey herd. Glad to see some people who will have them, and raise little ones. These are the first turkeys for both, but they have other poultry. Glad to see someone that will appreciate get started. The girl is who I bought chicks from this summer when I was having trouble with my broodies.

Kathy was up in the loft, taking the stairs very gingerly, moving slow even not on the stairs. Martin and I did the catching, Kathy clipped the wings . I am glad she has decided the stairs are too much. Good luck with whatever the doctors say and do my friend.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:11 am

@WLLady Sounds like an awful lot of work was done. Sad to hear you have to downsize but I think you will enjoy them more if you're not having horrible pain just to feed them but hopefully your favorites will keep you happy.

Return to “Around the Waterer”