Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Happy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:38 pm

I actually love one meal of fried green tomatoes. But only one. I picked a bunch tonight "just in case"

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:05 pm

rutabaga....i plant and forget and all of a sudden there they are. they are heavy feeders....so i use rotted manure turned in in the spring.
insanely easy to grow @Killerbunny
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:31 am

Well I've had my first scare with a hawk. Last Sunday I was out in the pen trying to clean up and the chickens were all out in the yard. I had heard them reacting to a squirrel a few times through the day so when they started making a fuss I didn't go to see why. Then I heard chicks crying and both young roosters really started calling out. I jogged out of the pen and around the coop and saw a hawk taking off. He had been on the lawn. The young roosters had hens gathered up against the fence just 15 feet away from where I had seen the hawk. Mother hens and babies were in a panic and running everywhere. I didnt know if that hawk had taken a chicken. It took me a while but I finally managed to gather everyone up and get them inside. I found a baby at the very back of the yard completely separated from siblings and mom. I think the hawk was after chicks anf they had scattered and hid. Nobody was missing but everyone's grounded for a bit unless I'm right out there with them. First issue I've had from the air in 9 years and I feel like a just got lucky.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:37 am

Wow, scary and lucky, it's interesting how we learn to recognize the usual alarms and when something is really off.
I see couple around but they don't seem to be shopping chickens, but there are no chicks, so I guess large birds not as attractive.

Spent 4 hours in a line up at Drive test centre for something that couldn't be done on line.
I have never in my whole life felt inclined to line up for anything, so it was hard not to think that all the line ups in my life I have refused to take part in have been rolled up in one I was in some kind of line up purgatory.
Also to have 4 hours to observe your fellow men, it's is really hard not to think we may not be worth saving. ;)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:43 pm

Good evening all. This is a sad evening because, gasp, we are moving out of our pop-up camper back into the house. DH wussed out first though. I think they can take our citizenship away because the temperature is only supposed to go down to 1C. Oh well.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:34 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:43 pm
Good evening all. This is a sad evening because, gasp, we are moving out of our pop-up camper back into the house. DH wussed out first though. I think they can take our citizenship away because the temperature is only supposed to go down to 1C. Oh well.
The only people I know who have summer and winter bedroom ;)

It's a great morning, the beans froze :)

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:11 pm

LOL OC. i hear ya! now it's JUST brussel sprouts and rutabaga for me to go for the harvest. But i do need to get the garlic in soon....but i have some time off from work coming up so i'll do it then. We are anxiously watching the london outbreak of covid-that's right where i work. so i'm doing nothing but go to work and come home....no stops in between for anything except the gas to keep the truck going. it's nerve wracking to drive through campus and see groups of students hanging out, no social distancing...some are being amazingly excellent, and some others, not so much. sigh. i hope it doesn't get worse...cause if it does, it'll go fast!
DH went fishing today. so i had the farm to myself! lol. okay, that really just means i cut the grass, pulled some of the hoses, found i couldn't get the coupling between the hoses undone, couldn't find the pliers to get them undone, so they're still out there, waiting for the stronger person to get home and get them undone. i then checked trail cameras. moved one...because there's nothing except a darned coon. 500 photos of the same coon.....the other one has a nice 6 point buck and several does :-) and a fox. and a hawk. and squirrels....likely not a great idea to have the camera on a tree right beside a major travel tree for those rodents. and theres bread about to go in the oven....that's about all i got done. but i'm nursing a sprained ankle now to match my tennis elbow...so. it's okay to have a quieter day i guess. Thankfully someone is coming to get ducks tomorrow. And help advise me on my volunteer plum trees. looking forward to fewer mouths to feed. it's a 50 pound bag of feed almost every day right now....darned ducks!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:58 am

Sunday morning breakfast. Us poor folks scavenge and eat stuff most people wouldnt. Take for instance this morning. Mushrooms growing just outside the barnyard fence. Fried in butter and a little salt, on a dry crust of toasted bread. Wonderful delicious! Memories of childhood. I have tried to feed such things to grown kids and others, they wont even try them. Oh well.

Got some new neighbors, Vietnamese boat people. Took about half of these over, and shew was babbling on, some words I didnt understand, but there was great pleasure. Nice to share with someone that appreciates.
Attachments
IMG_2861.JPG
IMG_2865.JPG
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:17 am

I had identified these before, couldnt remember so I did it again.

Shaggy parasol mushroom.

https://www.google.com/search?q=parasol ... bugiibd_IM
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:01 pm

Good morning,
Another beautiful day, it makes it so much easier to be wrapping up summer (well not really, but perhaps less hard)
First day yesterday at a Puppy Play date, pretty funny, cost is less then Yoga, and I definitely feel I do not need any more exercise then Puppy play date. Since the Dog training facility figured out how to rum classes, perhaps the School Board should ask for their help?
Harvested first of the red cabbages, the little one, looks amazing and I didn't look very closely, but don't think there was anybody living inside it, so cabbage salad for lunch today :)

Return to “Around the Waterer”