Post by ross » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:02 pm

Yes & yes
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:29 pm

you would need to make sure she doesn't pick up something from the others. If it were me I would cage her downwind of the existing group. Also many chickens are resistant to Mareks but she may not be, need to be prepared to step in if you need to.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:44 pm

Thanks, @Killerbunny and @ross . I think I may have to pass on rescuing this one, much as I would like to: She's a milles fleur d'Uccles hen. We have other housing priorities to get sorted first, so ... .
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:31 pm

@Jaye the other potential issue that comes to mind is if she would be able to get along with others. When I had my little guy "Happy" in the house he had no idea he was a chicken. He wanted nothing to do with the other chickens and would fight them. He identified more with the dogs. It could potentially be a bumpy road for everyone involved.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:00 pm

Very good point, @Happy . Hadn't thought of that aspect of it. She did have two brothers early on, apparently, but still ... she did bond with their dog before he passed in March. I am sorry, but I can't have a permanent house chicken - we already have a house rabbit and a dog, and I can't deal with a chicken on top of that. Sadly, I don't think her future is looking very bright. :-(
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:27 pm

Some backyard owner would scoop her up in a second being that she's a hen.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:20 pm

Jaye wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:52 pm

Question for all you chicken quarantine and integration experts: hypothetically, if a lone hen has been a house pet / apartment balcony pet for her entire life, what are the chances of her harbouring diseases that can be passed on the other chickens in an existing flock? Would she need to be quarantined?
YES quarantine, and introduce slowly! It's not just to protect your established birds, but the newly introduced one(s) as well. She could have gotten something from wild birds on the roof, especially pigeons, that your birds haven't encountered. Conversely, she may have never scratched in dirt and been exposed to things like Staph, coccidia, etc., that your chickens shrug off daily.

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:00 am

GOOD MORNING!!!! Best morning ever! Lovely cool air. Plants are smiling and bobbing up from their rain. Birds are strutting and active.....no one hanging around water stations panting. Great day to be on this side of the grass 😆

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:04 am

morning all! i think we all need to hang on with getting new chickens/animals because in 6 months (or less when people need to return to work) there are going to be many of all types - chickens dogs cats...you name it-looking for homes. sigh btw anyone want some muscovies? lol

good news is no more losses in the heat other than the 6 old birds. and finally the last heat broke....however in the rain our culvert flooded out the 3 foxes living in it. so now we have foxes hanging out. 2 are too young to know what chicken tastes like i think but the third is definitely scouting. we saw her yesterday and got the guns out to scare her off twice. quiet night last night with traps set (didnt catch anything) and so far so good this morning. we finally got some rain. the corn unrolled as we watched it was so dry and thirsty. looking decent today. but our pasture took a huge hit and is still baked yellow. horses are back on hay....ironically we need to mow to cut the weeds. argh. today is btk in the garden and try to get the squash headed in a different direction-theyre all growing together lol. its mostly weeded again. juat the walkways and strawberries to weed. but first bread needs making and i need to order the lumber for building the guinea coop once i see what is available around here first. beautiful day here...loving the cooler weather i must admit.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:18 am

Yeah, I opted not take in the apartment hen. However, I do have two 1-month old "pretty sure they are pullets" d'Uccles to pick up later this week that I will be integrating with my d'Uccles-Ameraucana duo. Since they're bantams two only counts as one bird, right? Hopefully, the broody coop will be ready in the next few days.
We rented a mini tractor with a back hoe to excavate around the perimeter of the quail tractor, in order to install Twin-tex sheets down 24 " all around. Apparently nothing can chew through the stuff. Here's hoping that's true. We would have gone the welded wire route, but we are a having a heck of a time sourcing it ATM. Everywhere we've looked is back-ordered.

Return to “Around the Waterer”