Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by poultry_admin » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:00 pm

:laugh:
@Farrier1987 is at least a step ahead of you. His goats do seem to come back a lot. He just needs to figure out the "rent" money part.
roflmbo
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:45 am

Not for rent, sales only. Sell high, buy low. Has happened, might again, who knows.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:16 am

I used to sell Homing Pigeons . The return was amazing . Lol
He said tongue in cheek .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:43 pm

AT this point in window AC has been mentioned. I hasten to add FOR THE TURKEY COOP! We have a broody girl in a small coop that should hatch today or tomorrow, who is suffering badly. We have told her it's OK to quit but she won't. ATM we have a fan with ice bottles in front of it to try to cool her down.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:03 pm

poor girl! will she lean against a frozen water bottle or cooler pack, do you think?
i am about to deliver some chilled watermelon wedges to our hens ... do you think she'd be interested in something chilled to eat?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:07 pm

Poor girl, poor us, no air-conditioning here, although we have spent years planting trees and installing blinds for "passive cooling"
It only lasts 4 days max, if it doesn't go below 20C overnight.
at this point it's 34C on a shady North facing porch, I am going to avoid looking at any other thermometers.
Chickens disappear under the false Spirea bushes the moment they are let out, I am assuming they know better so leave e them to it.
The dog goes out, looks at me questioningly and then digs a hole in sand under large hosta and lies in it, I let him do whatever too.

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:41 pm

Well, @Ontario Chick our birds are under the False Spirea bushes as well. We live in the middle of the woods, so when it's this hot we get a nice cool breeze from the trees. All our coops have been put under trees so, for the most part they are cool. And they get the breeze as well.

There is a small hill leading from the coops to the bushes. The hens spend most of their day running up and down the hill. I always worry about the nights. I hate locking them away and closing the doors.

I can't imagine @Killerbunnyhow that poor turkey is still sitting in this heat. My heart goes out to her. Sounds like you have a good plan to keep her cooled off. I've been spending my time breaking my broodies of being broody. It's always a challenge with my silkies and showgirls.

Start doing a rain dance everyone.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:28 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:07 pm
Poor girl, poor us, no air-conditioning here, although we have spent years planting trees and installing blinds for "passive cooling"
It only lasts 4 days max, if it doesn't go below 20C overnight.
at this point it's 34C on a shady North facing porch, I am going to avoid looking at any other thermometers.
Chickens disappear under the false Spirea bushes the moment they are let out, I am assuming they know better so leave e them to it.
The dog goes out, looks at me questioningly and then digs a hole in sand under large hosta and lies in it, I let him do whatever too.
Same here, @Ontario Chick , no AC here either ... well, a small portable unit that we use in emergencies (that's been on all day where I am working since this latest heat wave started), but it really only cools the immediate vicinity. Our windows have been closed as well as blinds/curtains/shades drawn early morning every day since the heat hit. Thankfully we have a good number of trees on our property. The chickens and quail get their waterers switched out 2-3 times a day, frozen water bottles added, and flat cooler packs put down in the runs for them. The chicken coop and run is located in the shade of trees, so they're doing alright. The quail, however, are in a coop/run that is out in the sun for a good part of the day, so although their run is covered, they need (and get) extra cooling help. Our dog is parked right beside the portable AC for most of the day. I am not looking forward to the night time temps not going below 20C, which will start happening tonight, according to the forecast.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:45 pm

I had one little black silkie chick about 3 months old, obviously overheated, brought in into the house with the AC for a couple hours, fine now.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:52 pm

I've been changing out waterers 3-4 times a day, and the quail survivors get their flat ice pack switched out 2-3 times a day. So far, everyone is hanging in there. Nice thing about the forest floor deep litter we have in the runs is that it allows them to create wallows which are apparently cooling.
Question for all you chicken quarantine and integration experts: hypothetically, if a lone hen has been a house pet / apartment balcony pet for her entire life, what are the chances of her harbouring diseases that can be passed on the other chickens in an existing flock? Would she need to be quarantined?

Return to “Around the Waterer”