windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Good Morning! from Landon 8 yrs old

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:09 am

Learning Landon wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:17 pm
Hello everyone,

I have been learning alot about chickens and ducks this summer.

We made a video about my incubating chicks that you might like. Thank you for looking at it. Hope you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... tes+chicks

Landon
Welcome to PTO, Learning Langdon! I love the videos, can I borrow your kid for a year or two? roflmbo When I had my own children, we were town living and moving a lot (military) but after that I quickly got back into poultry asap...my oldest son only has an acre of land but is now "farming" bees. My youngest son has ASD and still lives at home...he thrives on routines and is happiest when he has regular chores to do every day. I see a lot of him in your child. And a lot of myself as well--I remember when my mother got chickens, I called dibs on egg collecting chores, but also, being a night owl, got stuck with evening feeding and lockup lol.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:36 am

We enjoyed meeting @windwalkingwolf son when they visited. The young turkeys loved him!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:22 am

Good morning! My daughter and I are going to brave Costco this morning. I've been a handful of times.... wearing a mask now.... but shes been NO WHERE at all, other than a walmart grocery pickup, where she stays in the car. Her hubby is home, and will stay with Maren-9 months, and Mason- almost 4. God help us. Jess went yesterday at 3pm, and the lineup outside was insane. Out in the hot hot hot sun. I'm hoping its all settled down today, from being closed on Wednesday, and hopefully all those people who go to their cottage, have gotten their supplies and have gone already!! One can only hope.

I'm going for a new phone. I just unplugged my old samsung, almost 6 years old... I've put a battery to it 2 years ago, and now its at 60%. So maddening. It spends all its time indoors on the charger. A friend gave it to me, it was a demo phone, and was 3 years old when I got it. Oh well. Can't wait for this farm sale to have any money to get one, just going to have to use the mastercard.

Garden is doing well, despite being dry as hell. I'm using soaker hoses, and spot watering with a nozzle... and its so time consuming!! At least not so much grass has been cut lately, but the clover and the weeds have no trouble growing up tall and unsightly on the lawns/lane. Hate weeds.

I thought I would dig up one garlic plant... I just took the scapes off a week ago. They are doing well, and I am watering the 3 rows as I type.
big garlic July 2 2020.jpg
My Jalapeno's are ready for picking, and I really should pick them all, because the plants are very young.
jalapenos july 1 2020.jpg
My husband noticed an owl in the manure pit, liquid... mostly barn run off, but its also a death trap for the stupid guinea's who hop in there. I HAVE rescued 2 in the past... and the original 9 that were left, got smart about that, as the rest of that crew sat on the edge of it, and squawked as I netted them out. The one was almost dead, I put it in the barn and left it for dead, but it recovered. They never went over there again, but alas, there is a new crew out and about, and although I am sure a few are on nests.... I think some went for a swim.

Regardless... this owl was sitting on the floating dead putrid birds (been in there a good month... frogs sit on them for gawds sake)... and so he managed to get it, by sticking a net handle in a pcv tube of some sort. We took it beside the feed room and put it on the ground. We were going to hose off the gabillon duck weed poop all over it..... and Gary tried to upright it under the net so it could sit proper, and it grabbed his hand with those oh so sharp talons. Which embedded into his had, and one went right thru to his palm. How gross. I was trying to pry those suckers out.. we were both a bit wound up over it...never thinking this thing could have bitten me, or grabbed ME with its other leg... and its beak was making the loudest clicking sound ever!

Anyhow, I could NOT even manage to pry those out, I had to move his hand forwards, back wards, and try and pry up wards, because I know they curve.... and I could hear ripping... and holy crap, how awful. It looked like we would have to bash the thing in the head, to get those talons out, but finally we got him loose, and pictures and talking to the Dr... and prescription and soaking hand later... finally today, it looks much better.
received_734991873927389 (2).jpeg
Its just a young one... but oh so strong!
hands.jpg
This was shortly after it happened... but it got worse after this. I injected one of his punctures with peroxide, and his hand immediately rose like a volcano, and he just about left his seat. Said that pain was worse than the bird clawing him. I didn't do the other punctures, LOL.

Well, Melissa is ready to go, so I should get dressed and leave.

Have a great weekend!

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:32 pm

Oh my goodness! They say that no good deed ever goes unpunished and that was the owls way of thanking you - sigh!

Linda

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:33 am

I agree, lol. I forgot to add, or rather had to leave... that we called an owl sanctuary in Vineland, and someone came out to get him/her. They will have cleaned it up, and tended to its injuries, (if it had major), and will do a test flight with it, and bring it back.

Gosh its so dry! I've been spot watering with 2 nozzles trickling on every squash/tomato/pepper/zucchini plant, and rows with the soaker hose for beans and cucumbers and broccoli. It better rain soon!! AND because of the higher demand for electricity, we have had one power outage... and nieghbours too. Maybe rotating.... they did that one year I remember.

WLLady... how are the birds so far?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:17 pm

Hey everyone

Sad to say i lost 6 older birds to the heat yesterday. It's so dry and hot. We have farmers down here plowing what is left of the corn (4 weeks after planting) into the fields to prepare to hopefully get either a late crop of soybean or plant winter wheat. If we don't get rain in the next few days our corn will be standing dead in the field. the grass is done, it's crunchy and not even yellow anymore. I have ice in the waterers, hosing the birds down....put the big dog dishes on the floor so they can stand in them. moved the fans into the windows on high have all the coops wide open so the birds can get into the shade outside....nothing is working. there's virtually no wind, no clouds and the sun is just scorching hot. i feel like i'm living in the desert in california again. i lasted 2 years there.....

Our corn is pineappled and severely stressed....
the only thing seeming to like this weather is the garden which is being watered 2x a day right now. The sand is dry as dust....sigh. I hope the well can keep up. The horses are inside pretty much all day and out in the night.....thank goodness i managed to get hay already because there's no grass left to eat anywhere of any quality.

Took 5 coons out of the coop last week. all at once.....yes, i lead poisoned them. no messing around here. they were IN the coop, trying to kill the one broody momma on the floor, and another in the rafters and 2 in the nesting boxes looking for eggs. the fifth scooted out the door before i could get there with the gun, and we caught it in the trap 2 hours later. The foxes got baked out from the culvert under the driveway. haven't seen them for 3 days now. I hope they're in the woods in the ravine....

Please someone, send us rain. any rain. we've tried rain dances, killing spiders, begging to the gods, pleading to the gods, i count those 6 chickens as sacrifices to the gods.....we NEED rain. sigh. and another sigh.

Have a hatch of ducks going today into tomorrow, see a few pips. Need to get working on a coop for the guineas. Thinking a small 4x8 in the garden. hubby doesn't want them in the barn because they're too noisy, so they'll need to overwinter in a separate coop. they're almost ready to go out from the brooder, so i better get moving on it. But for that i need to go and order/get wood....and i am really not up to shopping right now. I'm really trying to stay away from people because the entire world seems to have gone insane at the current time. covid-19 parties? seriously? Do these people understand that they will kill between 4-6% of the population of the WORLD?! I hope they realize it when they kill their parents/grandparents. So irresponsible. I know they think they're invincible.....so maybe it would be good if the virus does the natural selection thing. I just don't know. It's desperately depressing.

@Bayvistafarm I hope gary's hand is doing/feeling better.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:26 pm

Citiots...
:NO: what were they thinking?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/f ... -1.5636950
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:42 pm

I can give them a good home here LOL! Not sure what the Farm was thinking either.
Mutt chickens for eggs

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:18 pm

Dumb & Dumber
Roller babies just for show
Attachments
6496CA5F-BB0C-4D26-B3DD-888109A200D9.jpeg
F05DB43D-EA6B-424F-A853-EE15D7441082.jpeg
25417296-CB10-431B-92E2-E1A8BD0D93CA.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:12 pm

poultry_admin wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:26 pm
Citiots...
:NO: what were they thinking?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/f ... -1.5636950
So I have a number of turkeys here in need of fostering (about 30). For $150 I will give the selected turkey your name and I will go a step better and keep it here for you so you don't have the stinky bit. I will Email you a picture of your bird even though they do look a lot alike. I will keep your bird until at least Thanksgiving or maybe Xmas. Now for an extra $100 your birds name goes into a draw and 3 lucky winners will be ovewintered!
I take Etrans, don't be left out. I hear @Farrier1987 might be planning a similar scheme with goats.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Around the Waterer”