Eggs???

General discussion forum.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Eggs???

Post by TomK » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:30 am

Okay...this is stupid...i have roughly (and i say roughly as I haven't actually counted) 40 hens out there... And if i hadn't gotten several lovely pullets from KB earlier this fall I wouldn't have a single egg...total shut down ...zero...nada...zilch...nuthin
I do know, of course, all the light level, temperature, moulting explanations and understand but this is the first year for this total cold shoulder...GAH!!!!
Anyone else have this level of NOTHING?
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Eggs???

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:40 am

Yup! Only the 3 pullets are laying!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:25 am

This could be called the "annual complaint" ;)
We are getting about 2-3 eggs a day from 18 hens, but that is only because we took the oldest hens out this year.
Last year it was the same like @TomK 2-3 eggs from 35 hens, not really a sustainable system :)
Oddly enough this year hatch 3 pullets didn't start laying yet, which means that they will not start until January.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:50 am

I found it interesting that on another site a student analysed his great grandfathers farm accounts and put them in terms of todays wages. He found that "winter eggs" were $20 a dozen!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:53 am

Hana...yeah, i am going to have the same issue..my passle of Brabanter pullets wil come on line in January as well...i will be swimming in medium white eggs...with any luck..lol
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:55 am

I am having the same issue. This year has been very weird. In the spring I was getting regular eggs from all the girls who were still laying, but I have had almost nothing for several months over the summer: I got the occasional egg - 1/week - from my 1+ YO Welsummer, still about 3-4/week from my 5 YO Ameraucana, and - 1-2/week from my 6 YO Euskal Oiloa hen. My 1 YO Brabanter only laid for about 3 weeks in the spring, then quit, and I haven't seen an egg from her since. Then the fall moult started, after which two hens came back into lay and then stopped again several weeks later. If it weren't for my lovely Brabanter/Ameraucana mix pullet who came into lay a month or so ago, I would still have zero chicken eggs now. Her hatch mate, a full Brabanter, still hasn't come into lay, and I seriously doubt that she will before the spring at this point. I don't know what is going on. They've been treated for parasites, dewormed, I see no signs of uninvited winter guests in the coop, I've switched them to a different feed that they like much better and they all look healthy and active.
Thanks goodness for the quail ... they are laying lots again.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:08 pm

I guess I’ve been lucky, my 2 older hens (from @Killerbunny ) are giving me an egg a day between them after a very slow summer and my new pullets, 3 wellsummers and 5 hamburgs are now all laying and giving me 6-7 eggs a day ! Now have more eggs than I know what to do with!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:59 pm

I'm averaging one bantam egg a day! Only 2 of my little girls are laying and the rest are on winter break.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:26 pm

Brebis wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:08 pm
I guess I’ve been lucky, my 2 older hens (from @Killerbunny ) are giving me an egg a day between them after a very slow summer and my new pullets, 3 wellsummers and 5 hamburgs are now all laying and giving me 6-7 eggs a day ! Now have more eggs than I know what to do with!
Perhaps we need to start an "egg exchange" ? or a COOP ?

Penny
On the Roost

Post by Penny » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:31 pm

10 hens of laying age...lucky if I get one egg per day. Im hearing the same story everywhere though...

Return to “Around the Waterer”