Question Selling meat birds from the house?

General discussion forum.
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Selling meat birds from the house?

Post by ross » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:54 am

Government spies Jim lol .
Luck on operation my friend , I still want to get out on the water at Pt. Glasgow walleye fishing with you , 🤠👍🐠
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:33 pm

JimW wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:39 pm
KimChick wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:36 pm
What we have done twice in the past is have another couple go in on an order of meat birds with us. We housed the birds, fed them, etc. When butchering day came, they also came to help with the process. And they would pay us for their share of the costs.
Having said that, we tried it twice and that was enough for us. We will not do it again.
KimChick probably a good idea, I don't know how "the government would find out" but technically you can process your own birds for your consumption, but the processed birds cannot leave your property. So the other couple legally could not take processed birds home. This is just for information, not trying to be the "poultry police".

JimW
I suppose you could look at it like a hunting group. It is a team effort, everyone participates, and all go home with their fair share.

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:36 pm

KimChick wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:33 pm
JimW wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:39 pm
KimChick wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:36 pm
What we have done twice in the past is have another couple go in on an order of meat birds with us. We housed the birds, fed them, etc. When butchering day came, they also came to help with the process. And they would pay us for their share of the costs.
Having said that, we tried it twice and that was enough for us. We will not do it again.
KimChick probably a good idea, I don't know how "the government would find out" but technically you can process your own birds for your consumption, but the processed birds cannot leave your property. So the other couple legally could not take processed birds home. This is just for information, not trying to be the "poultry police".

JimW
I suppose you could look at it like a hunting group. It is a team effort, everyone participates, and all go home with their fair share.
Yes you could look at it like that if you were hunting wild chickens on your property. lol. But the government would not look at it the same way. The regulations are different for hunted game. Here is the quote from the OMAFRA about the Meat Regulations, again just for info...

"Can I slaughter my own animals to feed my family?

Yes, provided you comply with one of the following options

Producers can slaughter animals and process the carcasses on the farm at any time of the year and are exempt from the Meat Regulations, provided all the following conditions are met:

The animals must be slaughtered for consumption by the producer or the producer's immediate family only,
The slaughter must be performed on the producer's premises by the producer or a certified examiner; and;
The meat must be consumed only by the producer or the producer's immediate family on the producer's premises.
The meat from an animal slaughtered under this option cannot be sold, delivered, distributed, or transported off the farm under any circumstances."

Best of luck.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:02 pm

Question:
Which part of
"Yes, provided you comply with one of the following options
and
provided all the following conditions are met:
do we follow?

OR... I will look it up.

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:50 am

@KimChick

The Meat Regulation for on-farm slaughter has "two options". I posted Option One above that applies to all meat animals, and you must meet all the conditions that I posted.

'Option 2" for on-farm slaughter only applies to cattle and pigs, so I did not post Option 2.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:51 pm

Thanks Jim. That makes sense now! And I finally found that section on the website and saved it.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:12 pm

I am venturing into the meat bird world this spring...my first attempt will be just for MJ and I and my kids families..processing will be done offsite at proper facilty ...if all goes well, I will do a second run late summer into the autumn for farm gate sale...people here are hungry for this but it seems too much bother for people to make the effort...typical...we will see how it goes...I have had suggestion on alternative to the cornish cross meat variety toward dual purpose cockerals so I may experiment with both in the spring trial...comments/opinions welcome...Al had mentioned a while ago about the feeding routine being more controlled on the meat cross birds and thats e plan as well as being in a pasture tractor enclosure in the daytime.. :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:08 pm

Rule # 1 Buy chicks that are preprogrammed/ developed to raise under conditions & feed you want to raise um for best finished product .

Did for years until cost & labour got too prohibitive .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:10 pm

I raised BR roosters and, for us, they were great. Hatched late April and processed 1st week October. I kept them in a garden shed with a dog pen that could be moved to give them fresh grass and running space. They were a pleasant tempered bird too and not always fighting. They came out at the 4lb processed mark and the meat was quite dark and flavourful. Only drawback was they were friendly things always asking to be hand fed treats LOL! One of their number now lives with @TomK ! Not too much feed input or mess either.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”