Rude Kijiji ad?

General discussion forum.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Rude Kijiji ad?

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:21 pm

I have more birds than I need, being a successful year. Thought I would list some on Kijiji, kind of an instant flock of free rangers. Figured RTL pullets from the hatchery ae about $15. Here is a link to my ad:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-livestock/chath ... 1472103486

To which I got the following reply:

This is kind of a rude ad. Because someone doesnt want to pay $100 for 7 barnyard mix pullets, 2 soup birds, and 1 rooster that they likely dont need, (and right as we're headed into winter), you dont think they can afford to feed their chickens? I have 5 flocks, 4 of which are expensive pure breeds that I have put a TON of money and time into. One of my breeds (Svart Hona) cost $20 PER egg and $95 per unsexed chick from one of the breeders I purchased my starter generation from. So I am no stranger to paying good money for birds that deserve it. But my 5th flock is my layer flock, birds that we just use to eat their eggs. And just 2 weeks ago we purchased ten, 1 year old laying hens for $2 per bird. They're red sexlinks, nothing super fancy but also awesome and young layers. Winter is a buyer's market NOT a seller's market. Which is why I wait until winter to add to my layer flock for that specific reason. That does not mean that I can't afford to feed my birds. I have chickens, ducks, geese, and peafowl.

To which I replied: I am glad for you. You do your thing and I will do mine.

I need some opinions. Am I out of line? Rude? Is this someone on the forum here that I have offended? I have obviously stirred someones combative juices. I may have to go to therapy to work on my personality disorder and heal my inner child. In fact, I will go for a therapy session right now, go see the goats and the chickens, pick up one of Blackie Wackies fuzzybutts. That fixes just about everything in life for me.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Rude Kijiji ad?

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:13 pm

I think it is totally fair and up front! I hope it isn't someone on here. You know what IS rude, their response. I don't consider 1 1/2 yr old hens as soup birds either, my old girls still lay some at 5 and 6 yrs!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:45 pm

Not sure bout all the text but Farrier you poked the bear in your last paragraph & the bear poked back as I see it tea bag must a broke at breakfast . lol
For me I always ask for better price specially this time of year unless I know the breeder & the stock . Helps pay for feed & sickness loss / stress this time of year.
I’d say yes reply slightly over top but you know yourself that’s dealing with people also why I freeze my extras .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:48 pm

Sorry man not sure why come up twice .👎🤠
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:51 pm

I see nothing wrong with your ad either. And yeah, like @Killerbunny said, 1 1/2 yo laying hens are NOT soup birds. In my experience, they are just hitting their stride at that age.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:24 pm

Ah well wouldn't matter what you put someone would be offended. I think if you just said, please no lowballers that would be enough, sometimes short and sweet is best. Their response is very Rude, if they don't like what you have to say then MOVE ON. Soup chickens is very rude as they are definitely not soup chickens. I wonder why they feel so defensive? $10.00 a chicken is a great deal.
Kijiji is a great selling and buying market but sometimes you have to wonder. I have replied to ads saying I wanted to buy it and when could I pick up with no response for over a month . When they do reply I am no longer interested. My husband has gone to pick up things and had the seller up the price when he got there. No he didn't buy it. He's had them say they will meet him and never show up. Whats up with these people do they not want to sell their items or is this some kind of game?

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:52 pm

I think people who aren't interested in buying something in an ad should not reply and keep their thoughts and opinions to themselves. If they are actually negotiating with the seller the comments made are between them.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:11 pm

I will be a devils advocate.
The last sentence in your ad was a bit of a gauntlet thrown, not really necessary, and like Ross said, you poked a bear.
There is never a shortage of people waiting to be offended, and even a most innocuous ad will bring out the "peculiars", so sticking to actual information only, rather then passing judgment on possible interested parties is the best way to advertise. :coffe-news:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:07 pm

Well @Ontario Chick as you well know I had Sellers Remorse in spades a few years back so I totally get @Farrier1987 . Thank goodness the persons concerned for me haven't been on this site for a long while.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:14 pm

As you know I have spend part of my past life in advertising in one form or another.
It's not so much about what you put out there, it's about the goal you want to achieve.

Otherwise the ad would read something like...
"No Complete Morons Need to apply".... which would bring out every person who is completely convinced they aren't a moron, and all the Morons who think they shouldn't be excluded. ;)

Still back to the advert should have as much information as you can provide, without second guessing what possible silliness the responders may come up with, since there would be no end to that.

The surprises when advertising livestock never stop coming, even when you stick to facts only.
Hard to forget the response I got on "Poultry Swap" for chicks I was selling for what to me was a very sensible price (never actually expected to make money in chickens) which upset somebody to no end, because they felt I had no right to ask that kind of money, which they couldn't possibly afford, but felt they had EVERY RIGHT to own chickens, and I with my unreasonable price was preventing them from it. :sAng_banghead:

Return to “Around the Waterer”