ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Rude Kijiji ad?

Post by Jaye » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:22 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:14 pm
As you know I have spend part of my past life in advertising in one form or another.
It's not so much about what you put out there, it's about the goal you want to achieve.

Otherwise the ad would read something like...
"No Complete Morons Need to apply".... which would bring out every person who is completely convinced they aren't a moron, and all the Morons who think they shouldn't be excluded. ;)

Still back to the advert should have as much information as you can provide, without second guessing what possible silliness the responders may come up with, since there would be no end to that.

The surprises when advertising livestock never stop coming, even when you stick to facts only.
Hard to forget the response I got on "Poultry Swap" for chicks I was selling for what to me was a very sensible price (never actually expected to make money in chickens) which upset somebody to no end, because they felt I had no right to ask that kind of money, which they couldn't possibly afford, but felt they had EVERY RIGHT to own chickens, and I with my unreasonable price was preventing them from it. :sAng_banghead:
I remember that dialogue ... smh. I was flabbergasted by it. BTW, your prices were always very reasonable. Timing was not on my side at the time, but I do recall thinking "if only..."" when you advertised.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:58 pm

:lol: didn't think anybody remembered that one, certainly stuck in my mind

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:28 am

I guess I put that last line in there because I am so tired of Kijiji users that so often their first question is: Would you take five bucks for them all? Or some such. If you have real interest, come see, then we can talk price, and yes its pretty much always negotiable. I just want to know they are serious.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:21 am

My husband was selling a machine that weighed about 1500 lbs someone asked him if he would trailer it to the guys place so he could try it out. I'm like are you kidding me I have people drive 3 hours to pick up chicks and this guy can't drive half an hour to check out a massive machine. Who in their right mind would load up a massive machine drive it to someones place, unload it , hook it up, so he could try it, and then have him say gee I don't know I'll have to think about it, or just say no they don't want it.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:51 pm

Having dealt with the purchasing public for 32 years, nothing surprises me. I am not offended by anybody's ads and if anybody was offended by mine they would be told that I did not ask for opinions and to move along. It seems everyone today gets butt hurt from something. I have no patience for it and I don't think you should either. I see nothing offensive about your ad and I completely understand why you included it. And anybody who deserves your healthy and happy chickens would understand it as well. My two cents.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:54 pm

Well a week ago I started this thread. Had several people that wanted only one or two, and I wasn't that fancy on that, as being introduced doesn't always go well if the owner doesn't know what they are doing, so I held off. Then yesterday, a lady contacted me and said she would take them minus the rooster. (I am going to send her a link to this thread, seems like she would be a good part of this bunch, maybe might join up with us.)

this morning I picked out seven pullets and two mature birds for her, put them in a cage. She came around 2 with crates, seemed to know what she is doing and got them. She also saw BlackieWackie out with her 7, and probably got at least one of her biological chicks. A darn nice bunch if I say so myself. No picky picky about the price which was/is appreciated. Saw their daddy, and I was able to tell her about their great great grandmother who I have known well.

Worked out well for everyone I think. My chickens give me eggs and enjoyment and pay for their own food. Hard to beat that.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:22 pm

Farrier1987 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:54 pm
. My chickens give me eggs and enjoyment and pay for their own food. Hard to beat that.
That makes me think of what I said when DH suggested that the turkeys should start paying rent. I reminded him that they do, with their children! Sorry folks!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”