Coloquialisms, sort of

General discussion forum.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Coloquialisms, sort of

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:57 pm

Was cutting wood with my neighbor today. Thought of a saying local to the logging areas in BC. Usually said with a little disgust: "He's nothing but a roundwood burner."

Meaning is he is too lazy to split wood, so he only burns branches etc that dont need split.

But once in a while, someone would figure out a good shortcut or labour saving device or scheme, and it would be used as almost a compliment, to indicate that the guy was also smart in his lazy methods.

Anyone else got something like this that is not commonly know except in a particular area? I have always enjoyed parsing a phrase like that. Tell us about ones you might know.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: Coloquialisms, sort of

Post by KimChick » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:12 pm

Devising a good shortcut or labour saving device is like "men think; machines work", but I don't think that is an expression only in this region.
Now you got me thinking! But I have not travelled enough to recognize different expressions.... except one that I learned while visiting family in France a few years ago.

Return to “Around the Waterer”