Oh Oh!

General discussion forum.
Penny
On the Roost

Oh Oh!

Post by Penny » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:06 am

So, on Sunday I picked up 3 hens from a friend. The rest of her flock had got eaten by a fox earlier this year and she just wanted a home for these girls. 3 big, healthy sexlink hens - nice! I put them in a dog crate in my coop (no quarantine, but I'm aware of the risks - minimal from their situation). So they have been there since Sunday and my plan was to keep them locked in the crate until tomorrow night, then let them out with my flock. Well, they got out this morning while I was trying to get their water container. Oh Oh! The coop pop-door is already open as my flock free-ranges daily and I didnt want to lock the others out, so, I guess I will see if I still have the 3 hens when I get home. They were already taking on all comers and put a few of my hens, and even my rooster in their place. These girls are big and feisty! First order of business when I get home...check for casualties, then check for the 3 newbies. Crap....could be a long night...

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Oh Oh!

Post by Jaye » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:45 am

Uh-oh. Do you know if they are trained to come to the sound of a treat container being shaken? You can always just try it to see what happens ... Mine are all trained and come running when I shake the treat can. Sunflower seeds work, grapes, anything they like but don't get every day. Mealworms top the list here.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Penny
On the Roost

Post by Penny » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:40 pm

Good call @Jaye ! I bet they are! I'll ask my friend!

Penny
On the Roost

Post by Penny » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:48 am

Happy to report...they all stayed home and no fight casualties. I dont think the new girls even went out the pop-door. Apparently they were kept in the top of a barn so real outdoors might be scarey for them. lol.

Return to “Around the Waterer”