Brabanters....Brabanters....Brabanters...lol

General discussion forum.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Brabanters....Brabanters....Brabanters...lol

Post by TomK » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:19 am

Hi folks...as some of you know by now, i have hatched out a bevvy of Brabanter chicks this summer and its been great fun to say the least...MJ, of course, has determined that I have lost my marbles, and perhaps she has a point...course, that's not news to me...anyhoooo, I have some birds to rehome...I have dispatched a couple that were in need of dispatching but the ratio has been roughly 60/40 in favour of pullets...I am headed out for the day but when i get back, light levels willing, I will post some photos...nice birds all in all and I am wanting to continue the population increase and looking for other bloodlines to introduce and mix things up a bit...so two things, anyone interested in Brabanters please PM me and we can work out a deal of some sort and secondly, if any of you folks know of anyone who might have Cream Brabanter chickens in Ontario or western Quebec, please let me know...cheers for now, :iheartpto: :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Brabanters....Brabanters....Brabanters...lol

Post by TomK » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:13 pm

Ok...better late than never...i always manage to get home after the sun has set these last few weeks...kinda knew it would end up a weekend thing..a few shots..hope they load..
20191026_120533.jpg
20191026_120408.jpg
20191026_120257.jpg

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:46 am

Tom I know of a fellow in Eastern Qc, He has stock from my birds (yours) but he also has lineage from a few sources out West.

His name is Trevor Paterson and operates Volaille Goshdale Poultry, he has a Facebook page.

I would love to get some Brabies off you but......must......resist!!! :help: Really miss them :(
Last edited by Flat Rock Farm on Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:31 am

What drew you to them as a breed and how do they compare to sexlinks? I'm curious, but it sounds as if they aren't big egg layers......

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:07 pm

labradors wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:31 am
What drew you to them as a breed and how do they compare to sexlinks? I'm curious, but it sounds as if they aren't big egg layers......
Linda...they are not bad layers ( current time/weather/light levels notwithstanding)...beautiful medium sized white eggs..5 a week on average here ...i was merely intrigued but when i got three of the hatchlings last year and watched them grow to adults I was captivated and now I am hooked...not a docile breed but inquisitive and friendly...and the feathering is gorgeous...the hens are shy but the roosters are less so but not overly aggressive nor mean...so far so good...have some roosters to rehome.. :run:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:09 pm

Flat Rock Farm wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:46 am
Tom I know of a fellow in Eastern Qc, He has stock from my birds (yours) but he also has lineage from a few sources out West.

His name is Trevor Paterson and operates Volaille Goshdale Poultry, he has a Facebook page.

I would love to get some Brabies off you but......must......resist!!! :help: Really miss them :(
Thank you FRF...I will look into his situation...fingers crossed.. :run:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:53 am

Thanks Tom. They do look very pretty and they sound like fun, but sadly 5 eggs a week from 3 hens (in the summer) wouldn't cut it around here :(.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:34 am

I think @TomK is saying 5 eggs a week from each of his pullets, not in total ... they are decent layers.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:38 pm

labradors wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:53 am
Thanks Tom. They do look very pretty and they sound like fun, but sadly 5 eggs a week from 3 hens (in the summer) wouldn't cut it around here :(.
Linda..lol..nope..here either...guess i should clarify...that's per bird...and at the time I expanded with the hatching I only had the trio..two hens and the rooster..now i have 23..chicken math.. :run:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:26 pm

Not going to do the chicken math as we only have enough room for 6, but they sound interesting..... AND no combs to freeze in the winter!

Return to “Around the Waterer”