How much of your PRIVATE life do you share here?

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: How much of your PRIVATE life do you share here?

Post by Happy » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:07 pm

Farrier1987 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:33 am
I figure you can post whatever you are comfortable with for yourself. But if its about others, leave them to tell it or comment as they wish. Example: A couple weeks ago, i said I was going out with friends for supper. Then later in another post WLL said it was that dynamic duo of she and Martin. Now this is on the rather benign side and wouldnt really matter, if I had said who, but thats the kind of thing I mean.

Now, if anyone wants private closeups of certain body parts, send me a PM. I had to send one of my elbow to Happy, I am not sure why, but hey, who am I to judge her inner longings?
That was an elbow? 🤔😳🤯

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:10 am

:rubbingchin:
I share very little of my private life on this forum, or any other medium. If there are momentous occasions or I need to vent a little before I blow, I will share, but mostly I'm a very private and reserved person and keep my mouth shut (or my hands quiet) in general. On the other hand, I have met people thru this forum that I truly like, and consider to be friends, and those people may have heard more from me and about me than they care to :lol:

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:52 am

Ontario Chick wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:25 am
This site is different because of the fact that there is NO OUTside advertising, and that makes it feel more secure
Although I think I understand how you mean it, it also worries me a bit because I don't think we are more "secure". Lets have a look at how Google/FB work.
1) collect as much as possible private poop about everyone.
2) keep this information in a huge database with as many as possible personal facets.
3) the goal is to put a profile (age, sex, location, and HOBBIES ) together for EVERYONE
4) in order to show individualized advertising to entice you to buy more poop as @TomK put it so nicely.

This forum helps with 1-3.
Just because there is no advertising, does not mean that we don't help them collect data. There are three features we like that help them:
1) we like to find it on a google search -> allow google to index the forum
2) we like to be remembered when logon -> allow cookies (store unique identifier number in YOUR browser)
3) we like the search to work -> use google search rather than the forum search

2) is the biggie because it allows Google to put together a profile on YOU. All they have to do is to keep registering which web pages you go to (every page has a cookie, and all are unique to you) and what you search for. And over some time they have a very good profile.

The security you may think of comes in where the risk of a shitstorm; here is virtually non existent. If you were to post "I kill chickens for food" on Facebook and maybe with a nice juicy picture, you would get a huge response. Here you get a question how to best pluck them and a request to share your favorite recipe. roflmbo

(Didn't mean to pick on you @Ontario Chick, I know you understand the difference. But you gave the best starting point for the explanation)
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:14 am

Happy to serve as and example ;) and yes I understand the site isn't any more secure then anything else on internet.
It's a bit like a house surrounded by people, I know they are all there, I just appreciate that they don't stick their head in my window :iheartpto:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:49 pm

Sounds like ZOMBIES on Halloween night OC lol 👻
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

LongCrow
On the Roost

Post by LongCrow » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:11 pm

I am ok with the personal feelings on some threads, more the non poultry ones that people aren't searching for information. I myself, probably not as I'm a hard nut to crack.
I would be more inclined not to delve into your personal flock issues too deeply depending on what it is especially if you sell birds or eggs. Even if it is managed properly today's social media will blacklist you.
I've had poultry for 50 years and no this never happened to me. Sometimes I see a post that I say, I don't think I would post that.

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:19 pm

LongCrow wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:11 pm
today's social media will blacklist you.
Not on this site. We welcome you advertising your birds or posting your wanted ads.
There are 3 main legs for PTO to stand on:
- info
- BST
- social contact.

I think we made a good separation between them so people can find what they want fairly quickly.

Improvement suggestions are always welcome!
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:55 pm

Good day - yes, this site is a small group of regulars - like pen pals - and a large group of occasional folk - who don't jump in often. We try to make this free and open and welcoming but it seems to be the same group of regulars - and that is ok with me. We stay away from two issues that divide people - religion and politics. We share in common a country sensibility - and we support each other and encourage each other through rough times (often medical issues or death of a family member or treasured pet). And its a positive place - no facebook trolls here! So cheers to you all, my poultry friends, and may your hatches be good ones!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Return to “Around the Waterer”