Weasel

General discussion forum.
Blizblaz
On the Roost

Weasel

Post by Blizblaz » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:44 am

I have a weasel. I’ve seen it kill mice, so that’s good, but I have seen it around during the day. I always thought they were more of a night critter, but I saw one the other day at around 6:30 pm and it was very close to one of my free ranging chickens. She was just looking at it, not seeming worried or anything, and it was just looking and chittering.
I chased it away (it wasn’t overly convinced that I was scary) but my question is, do you think it would go after an awake chicken? I close them up at night and everything, but seeing them that close was unnerving.
My chickens really want out, and I want them to have as much time out before the snow flies!

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Re: Weasel

Post by JimW » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:26 am

If it is hungry enough yes it will go after an awake chicken. They will hunt any time of the day. They are more of a problem if they get into your coop when your birds are trapped in and easier for the weasel to attack but they might try to kill a free ranging bird if they think that is their best shot at a meal. Make sure your coop is secure a weasel can crawl through a 1 inch hole.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Return to “Around the Waterer”