Mauve egg

General discussion forum.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Mauve egg

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:14 pm

I have had one or two of this colour egg, not regular, but I have had them. Almost a dusty rose. So this one, I brought it in and took this pic and put it in the frig. A day later, some friends coming and wanted to show the, So I took it out of the frig so I wouldnt forget. As it sat, moisture condensed on it, and it slowly turned brown, same brown egg I get lots and lots of times.

Anybody got any idea how the "paint" situation works for this? Other than keeping them at room temp, how could you keep it mauve? Why is it sometimes mauve but usually brown, laid in the same conditions every time?
Attachments
IMG_2361.JPG
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Mauve egg

Post by Jaye » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:15 am

No idea how to preserve the mauve colour, sorry. I find that most egg colours will fade the longer they are exposed to light.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:37 am

when it dries again it should return to mauve. i have one girl that lays these off and on and it's brown with a bloom over it. if it gets wet it looks brown but when it dries again it should go back to the rose colour....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Mfrase27
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Mfrase27 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:47 pm

😍 jealous!

Return to “Around the Waterer”