Question Question on Mites in the coop

General discussion forum.
Jetsko
Newly Hatched Chick

Question on Mites in the coop

Post by Jetsko » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:15 pm

First thank you to all who responded to my first post "why did my new chickens die?" Your support was appreciated and did help at a difficult time for me as a newbie in taking care of Elvis & Presley.

A few of the responder's mentioned mites - thanks for the heads up because yes either the new chickens brought them in or the birds did (that are able to fly through the dog pen fencing). A week ago, I shoveled all the bedding out of the coop, took out the nesting boxes and everything that was not nailed down. Power washed from roof beams, walls, cement floor with a mixture of dawn soap & water, then rinsed everything well. After all was dry, I put down food grade diatomaceous earth & new bedding. Also put diatomaceous earth in the dust baths (they have on in the run and one in the yard). Today as I was collecting eggs & cleaning poop in the coop, saw mites on my hands.

Will be power washing the coop again tomorrow - is there anything else I can use that will get rid of these mites.

thanks in advance for your advice

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Question on Mites in the coop

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:30 pm

First make sure they are actually mites.
Sometime in summer heat other critters come in to the coop with feed and or bedding
Pick up a hen and look above and bellow the vent.
If you see tiny specks moving, they have mites. First order of the day is to treat the birds and then clean the coop again.
There are many ways to treat the birds, some are topical and kill the mites on contact, some are systemic and will make the bird inhospitable to many parasites.

Jetsko
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Jetsko » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:06 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:30 pm
First make sure they are actually mites.
Sometime in summer heat other critters come in to the coop with feed and or bedding
Pick up a hen and look above and bellow the vent.
If you see tiny specks moving, they have mites. First order of the day is to treat the birds and then clean the coop again.
There are many ways to treat the birds, some are topical and kill the mites on contact, some are systemic and will make the bird inhospitable to many parasites.
After I go into the the coop - I find very tiny red bugs/specks that are moving on my legs & arms. I just assumed that they were on the girls as well. I inherited the girls last Oct when we bought the house, was so proud that I was keeping the coup and girls clean, then I saw these creepy crawlies and freaked out. I'm new to this so not sure what's safe to use.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:37 pm

Well we all have these problems sometimes and the heat & humidity doesn't help. The absolute best is Sevin or carbaryl if you can get it but it was banned so unless a feed store didn't take it off the shelf it's difficult to find. You just give the birds and coop corners a good dusting. I also use Ivermectin pour on twice a year a couple of drops on legs and under wings. I hope someone else can chime in here! Good luck.
Does anyone know about limewash???
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jetsko
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Jetsko » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:23 pm

thanks - I hate bugs!!! You should see me freak out :gaah: when I find a flea on one of my golden retrievers.

Will check with my local feed store to see if they carry what has been suggested.
Last edited by Jetsko on Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

LongCrow
On the Roost

Post by LongCrow » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:00 am

Rubbing the roosts, sides of small coop and even the birds feet with vaseline will also kill/control them. Any nicotine spray meant for gardens can also be very effective.
Don't give up, it will work.
Happy chickens = more eggs.

Jetsko
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Jetsko » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:49 am

That's the thing - chickens are happy, following me around the yard or hanging out in a dust bath, getting know the dogs (which one they can peck at, which one chases them), laying eggs as per normal (so far).
Having lost the two new hens recently, I guess I'm being a bit over protective to make sure Elvis & Presley stay healthy. Since this is the first time I've ever had chickens & I've been at this for less than a year, I feel clueless - so much to learn.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:11 am

Mites on chickens are a fact of life. DE in the dust baths will help. Ivermec has worked for me with scaly leg mites. I use carbaryl..I bought a bunch before they took it off the selves. Hang in there.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:53 am

I've never found DE to be any good at all, a waste of money in my opinion but I know some people use it and it seems to work for them. Obviously it didn't work for you.
The dusting powder as others have stated is great to use dusted on the perches and bedding, if you can find any. Ivermection or biomectin works best, I put 3 drops on for bantam and 6 drops for standard chickens directly on the skin behind the neck. Half the dose for leghorns. You will not be able to eat the eggs for a week, some people do but I wouldn't.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:54 pm

kenya wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:53 am
I've never found DE to be any good at all, a waste of money in my opinion but I know some people use it and it seems to work for them. Obviously it didn't work for you.
The dusting powder as others have stated is great to use dusted on the perches and bedding, if you can find any. Ivermection or biomectin works best, I put 3 drops on for bantam and 6 drops for standard chickens directly on the skin behind the neck. Half the dose for leghorns. You will not be able to eat the eggs for a week, some people do but I wouldn't.
:iagree:

DE is only meant as an additive to dust bath, sort of like Epsom salt for people, it will not deal with mite infestation.
Before resorting to using chemicals that may do more harm then good, take a moment to find out what type of infestation are you dealing with, it will make it easier to eradicate.
Like @kenya I use Ivermectin Spring and fall, and only occasionally find any mites on the birds and never in the nest boxes or on the eggs.

Return to “Around the Waterer”