Odd thing...

General discussion forum.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Odd thing...

Post by TomK » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:33 am

Alrighty..here's my question...has anyone ever gotten an egg with a slight off taste in the yolk?..no damage to the shell at all..no cracks, no grime...nothing...I collect eggs every day at least twice and NEVER miss any in the coop so it cannot be put down to an old egg...this has happened twice on the last week to MJ and I am hesitant to tell her it is all in her head...natural survival mode kicking in there...any ideas what might cause this?..assuming of course, that it is actually fact...opening this up to the wise and wonderful for your input... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Odd thing...

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:23 am

Very occasionally I will notice a slight ammonia smell in a good fresh egg. I toss it!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:52 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:23 am
Very occasionally I will notice a slight ammonia smell in a good fresh egg. I toss it!
Yes, Gill, i understand that...but this was only in the yolk...nothing offputting in the white...no discolouration...no damage to the shell prior to cracking it into the frypan...just an off taste...hope it's a temporarary aberration
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:56 am

Do your chickens free range during the day? If so, they may have eaten something that would alter the taste of the yolk ... for example, garlic will sometimes affect the taste.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:40 am

Anything with a lot of sulphur can change the taste of the yolk. Eggs, fish, shellfish, peanuts, spinach, anything in the onion family and anything in the brassica family will change the taste if they eat enough of it. Maybe someone's been overindulging on oyster shell? Salmonella bacteria also produce hydrogen sulfide, the same gas that makes rotten eggs stink so bad. Hens can be infected with salmonella in their intestines and reproductive tract without being sick from it.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:36 pm

if your chickens have access to a compost pile there are some vegetables they love that can do that-broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus. if they eat hostas that can do it too! i have found chickens that eat snails also have eggs that taste funny to me, but i also detest snails, so.....
japanese beetles and squash beetles also can do it. nasty imported bugs.
and garlic.
and some antibiotics can get into the yolks-and spot on lice treatments.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”