Eggs are good for your eyes

General discussion forum.
Shnookie
Free Ranging

Eggs are good for your eyes

Post by Shnookie » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:14 pm

I had an eye exam today. My optometrist told me that eating 4 yellow egg yolks per week will provide enough Lutein to prevent macular degeneration.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Eggs are good for your eyes

Post by kenya » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:55 pm

Good to know!

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:29 pm

I should have said dark yellow yolks, not pale ones.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:39 am

I am going to guess that would be the yolks which are dark yellow because the layers have been on grass, I suspect the same benefits wouldn't come from the egg yolks that are coloured by feeding marigolds to improve egg yolk color.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:27 am

I had the same thought. A lot of the commercial eggs have additives to make the yolks darker, so they are not necessarily more nutritious.

It seems to me that the way food is mass-produced is likely causing a lot of health problems, some that people assume are part of aging. I saw on a program that grass fed beef has a lot more omega-3 in it than grain fed beef. Omega-3 helps with brain and joint health and lots of other things.

Jetsko
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Jetsko » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:57 pm

:yippiechickie: That's great news - love my girls (Elivs & Presley) and the eggs they provide.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:13 am

They can yip all they want about Alberta beef, and its good. But the best beef I have ever eaten on a consistent basis is in Argentina. Cattle there not grain feedlot fattened. The grass on the Pampas is excellent nutrition and the flavor is wonderful. Probably butchered at a slightly older age than our feedlot beef.

About the yellow yolk additives, I have always wanted to get some fine ground alfalfa or some such to mix in their feed in the winter. Don't know how or where to get, or if it would work.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:53 am

Marigold will work. I might try drying some flowers for them to eat in the winter this year.
I had my eye exam too and the chap said "whatever you're doing, keep doing it!" No issues and no glasses needed at 65, DH the same.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:54 am

Shnookie wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:27 am
I had the same thought. A lot of the commercial eggs have additives to make the yolks darker, so they are not necessarily more nutritious.

It seems to me that the way food is mass-produced is likely causing a lot of health problems, some that people assume are part of aging. I saw on a program that grass fed beef has a lot more omega-3 in it than grain fed beef. Omega-3 helps with brain and joint health and lots of other things.
I agree that some commercial feed has additives to enhance yolk colour that does not necessarily equate to more nutritious but I was reading awhile ago about somethings about eye health, so I went researching again.

Marigolds are one of the main plants that are used as a source of lutein for lutein supplements and vitamins, so even those eggs with dark yolks as a result of feeding marigolds would probably have good lutein levels.

Here is a list of lutein levels in various plants, could be useful to help increase the lutein levels in home raised eggs.
Lutein.JPG
JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:16 am

Seems to me pot marigold is Calendula, and I have it growing everywhere in my garden. I have dried the petals and used it in cheese to give goat milk a bit more colour. Will harvest more and dry it for the birds!
In the summer I dry and collect grass clippings and bag them up and use them in the nest boxes. They seem to really like eating it and though the eggs are less dark than the summer, they are still quite orange and assume that’s what’s doing. I did wonder about throwing rabbit pellets into the feed too.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Return to “Around the Waterer”