Brabanters

General discussion forum.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Brabanters

Post by TomK » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:42 pm

Jaye..for the most part it is extremely difficult to make out the gender..there are three for sure that I am confident about...of course this group consists of 3 sequential week hatches so there are younger birds too...i have 3 more week olds in my basement brooder and 4 more coming Monday with maybe a trio of BCMs as well if i am lucky...my BCMs are all moulting at the moment and not laying at all so I am tickled that 3 out of 4 eggs i gathered actually hatched...will keep you posted :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:22 pm

Latest addition..picked up the last hatching from my friend Debbie...5 Brabanters and 1 lone little BCM...i had thrown in 4 BCM eggs just for the h-ll of it and that was the outcome..at the moment i have 24 Brabanters (generally unsexed) am going to look for another bloodline to bolster the genetic diversity in the flock but so far these little guys look great...as for the BCMs..i have 5 hens and one roo and to echo Kathy, this guy, fertile as he seems to be, is going ibto the stewpot..a$$h__e 2019 no.2....mean bugger...or just nuts...i don't know which,
20190817_211401_HDR.jpg
but i can do without...maybe this little guy here in the pic front and centre will be male and step up to fill the gap...can't be worse
..btw, the numbers in the photo include the 3 from last week's hatch

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:31 am

You realize @TomK that the chick you want as a rooster will be a pullet now? One of those laws of animal husbandry!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:57 pm

Brebis..so very true...I can hope at least

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:03 pm

I love the look of these birds, so delightful!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:15 am

Interesting colour pattern in your new chicks!
Please post an updated photo when you get a chance... maybe before they are taken out of the brooder.
Then you will have done a better job than I with posting pictures!

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:09 am

I am a bit behind on this post, first off :congrats2: on the Brabanter hatch. :stars: Are these from the eggs I sent Jaye or WWW a couple years back?

I still miss them :cry: . There were my second favorite breed (my EO's are first, LOL).

Chicks and juveniles can be flighty as heck, but once they mature they are the sweetest :love smiley:

Loved looking at the pictures, thanks Tom. :jumpy:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:36 pm

Flat Rock Farm wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:09 am
I am a bit behind on this post, first off :congrats2: on the Brabanter hatch. :stars: Are these from the eggs I sent Jaye or WWW a couple years back?

I still miss them :cry: . There were my second favorite breed (my EO's are first, LOL).

Chicks and juveniles can be flighty as heck, but once they mature they are the sweetest :love smiley:

Loved looking at the pictures, thanks Tom. :jumpy:
Yes...those very same eggs that came this way...i ended up with a trio and decided to save some eggs and see if they could be hatched....VOILA!!...from 3, I now have 24....nor quite sure on all the genders just yet but that will sort out soon...love these birds :run:

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:58 am

I am so glad Tom that you ended up with them. Yes I loved them too, such sweet birds and never ever had a nasty rooster. Wow 24 from a trio that is amazing :stars: They are hard to sex, I found the only time I could tell is when the cockerels started getting their hackle saddle feather or they started to crown did I know who was who??
Well I am glad you are enjoying them, I truly miss them.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:06 am

I will see about getting some better photos up..would love to get a professional opinion on these birds..not sure if there is a standard

Return to “Around the Waterer”