Birds hitting the window ☹️

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Birds hitting the window ☹️

Post by Happy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:42 pm

I’ve always had this problem with my picture window but it’s worse this year for some reason. So far we’ve revived 2 Downy woodpeckers, a Hairy Woodpecker, several sparrows and a Rose Breasted Grossbeak. I’ve tried window clings, keeping curtains closed and fishing line strung outside. All have limited success. I’m considering ordering a film that you apply to the outside of glass but thought I’d ask here first. I think the issue is that the window is directly below a 4’ roof over-hang and in a shady area. They see the yard reflected in the glass and it’s dark enough that there’s no glare to interrupt the reflection. And believe me my windows are far from sparkling clean!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Birds hitting the window ☹️

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:37 pm

Last year I had a Cardinal on a war path with his reflection in one of the windows, and it was obvious he was going to be dead before he gave up.
I hung up 3 CD's from the overhang on different length of fishing line and he gave up the fight.
Then of course I immediately forgot about them, until overheard a conversation between my son and his daughter.....
"daddy, why does grandma hang CD's on her roof???, my son.... Don't be silly of course she doesn't" .......

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Re: Birds hitting the window ☹️

Post by Shnookie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:37 am

What about hanging a few mobiles that have colorful and or shiny things on (Dollar Stores have lots) outside the window at different heights?

Return to “Around the Waterer”