Grrr...vegans! :)

General discussion forum.
scottishpet
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Grrr...vegans! :)

Post by scottishpet » Mon May 27, 2019 2:49 pm

OK...wee bit of a rant. Was talking to a vegan on the weekend. No big deal, to each there own...but his comment to me was that "Poultry people are cold and callus when it comes to their birds. They don't see them at living things at all. They are money or meat and that is the sum total of their worth". I differed from his opinion, though I am new to the homestead I have encountered folks who are trying to get back to the rural roots of life and have a well rounded view of the animals in their care. For me it was a case of wanting to make sure each and every moment of life any animal will have here on the farm is the very best I am capable of providing. Those last 30 seconds of life will be filled with peace and then oblivion, knowing that I am the good guy with the feed bucket and have cared for them daily. I was trying to remember someone on here's signature tag line which clearly denoted their love and care for their birds...so I came here looking to see if I could find it. It was KillerBunny's tag

" Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat"

...reading that I can see without even knowing this person that their birds are
far more than money or meat. There was clearly a relationship between her and the Tom...they were coffee
buddies. That stuck in my head when I read it, and trying to explain to this very enthusiastic vegan that perhaps
his reference might, or maybe suited to large commercial enterprises, but most homesteaders, and small
farmers are not doing this for money at all. It is a life style choice we are making; just like his choice to kill
thousands of small animals and rodents to consume his flour based vegan products, when the harvesters process
crops in the field; the home of mice, rabbits and other rodents.

His next point was meat eaters are now going out of style, with the new Canada food guide.
Eating veggie burgers will be the norm and meat eaters will be shunned. I gave up...was not trying to win
anyway, just trying to have a fare exchange of ideas. I thought I might have some credibility since my husband
and I ate vegan for many years, more as a health choice than anything, but I had to stop as it was having a
negative impact on my health. We now eat Keto, and we were fortunate enough to be able to buy a small
farm to support that lifestyle choice. What we can't grow or produce ourselves we find small like minded
local farmers to fill our needs and try to by-pass the commercial food industry as much as possible. My vegan
friend called me a fanatic! LOL Thoughts? :chicken_dance:

scottishpet
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Re: Grrr...vegans! :)

Post by scottishpet » Mon May 27, 2019 2:53 pm

Sorry this somehow ended up in Photos and I don't know how to move it???

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon May 27, 2019 3:10 pm

IF EVERYMAN WAS THE SAME THAT ONE WOMAN WOULD BE AWFULLY TIRED . I write this as I sit in the midst of nature looking to shoot / kill a wild turkey so I can put beside my veggies .
What I’m saying is , who gives a rats petute what others think . Keep on keeping on .
Attachments
3A87674C-A400-4370-B678-6835BB430DAC.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon May 27, 2019 3:12 pm

As per meat eaters being shunned 🤠🦃
Attachments
770EFFEF-D6DC-444F-9975-6151F92B081A.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon May 27, 2019 4:12 pm

@scottishpet Wow thanks for understanding me and my birds. We almost became vegetarian because of the poor quality of meat and the ethics of it. Then we found small farmers who raised meat ethically and well. We now have our own chickens for eggs and meat and turkeys for meat and get our beef and pork from local folks (thanks WWW). DH and I used to work on the science side of food production and frankly we wouldn't eat most processed food. Veggie burgers tend to high fat and high salt (I know there are exceptions). Processed food is just yuck IMO! Even my meat chickens aren't "meatie zombies" but heritage roosters who have 24 happy weeks free ranging. The day I stop caring when I go to kill/process a bird is the day I stop keeping them. Even the turkey girl I had to kill the other day because of a bad leg will not go to waste. AT 4 years she will still make good ground and broth. I hate waste too. Vegan choices are actually not that great for minimising our footprint on the earth.
I do however love tasty vegetarian dishes especially Indian and these are usually made from our own veggies.
When I had to have some surgery and chemotherapy my surgeon told me to eat high protein, red meat etc. because I would heal faster and better and tolerate the treatments better - how true!
Hope we get to meet one day!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Mon May 27, 2019 4:38 pm

OK post moved!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon May 27, 2019 7:00 pm

Fanatics come in all sorts of disguises, you can usually tell them by the fact that rather then explaining their point of view, they attack yours.
Little like the dog that is afraid, tries to get in the first bite. ;)

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Mon May 27, 2019 7:05 pm

I have some triathlete friends who are Vegans and they just say they perform better. It works for them but they aren't pushy.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:25 pm

Uck Yuck Ptui
Attachments
Uck Yuck Ptui.
Uck Yuck Ptui.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon May 27, 2019 9:05 pm

Thanks for that, @Farrier1987 , had a really good chuckle!
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Around the Waterer”