Guinea Fowl wanted

General discussion forum.
ShaneB99
Newly Hatched Chick

Guinea Fowl wanted

Post by ShaneB99 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:57 am

I have a cousin who lives near Bancroft who would like some guineas for tick control. Any ideas where he could find some?

I know there's the auctions tomorrow in Fenelon Falls and Sunday in Quinte but I don't know anything about those sales. Are they reasonably big enough that there's a chance he'll find some?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Guinea Fowl wanted

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri May 10, 2019 10:40 am

Performance Poultry may have them, although it may be a bit too late in the year to order now.
http://www.performancepoultry.com/shopcart/index.php

there is always a possibility they will come up at an auction, they are difficult to sex, so a bit of a guessing game there.

Robert.Allen
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Robert.Allen » Sat May 11, 2019 5:10 pm

I picked up 5 Guinea's at the Quinte auction last year and there were plenty more there as well. From those birds i have a hen sitting on a pile of eggs as we speak, if they are fertile i expect them to hatch in just over a week. I haven't candled any as i haven't seen her off the nest and really din't want to bother her.

Rob

Robert.Allen
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Robert.Allen » Sun May 12, 2019 5:22 pm

Not that this is all that helpful, but there were plenty of Guineas at the Quinte sale, i would guess an average price of $40 per pair. I managed to pick up what was labelled as a male, however i just let it out of the box and it came with an egg.

Many more birds than the fall sale, not that familiar with these events to comment on high vs low pricing.

Rob

Return to “Around the Waterer”