Shell shocked from winter.

General discussion forum.
Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Shell shocked from winter.

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:58 pm

No joking but winter finally left here Easter Sunday. If you walked into my fields that good friday, you could be knee deep in snow. The Bush had deep snow until this week. The timelines around here are all mixed up, the wild birds are all mixed up, it feels like end of March, not almost May. I just realized that the South Mountain auction was probably Saturday, usually by then the grass needs cutting in some places. I forgot to tell a buddy of mine who likes to go and get animals for the summer because honestly I feel like it's still winter and we're going to get a sudden big snow storm. Yesterday we were getting snow again but it didn't stay thankfully. I feel shell shocked by this past winter.

Lucky for me, my ancestors settled high and dry, sadly many people in the Ottawa/Gatineau area are experiencing floods like never seen before and it's only going to get worse. The weight of excess water has cracked a hydro electric dam and they are worried it could collapse.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Shell shocked from winter.

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:18 pm

As long as municipalities allow building on flood zones it is indeed going to only get worse.
The hunger for tax base seems to blind all, and the believe that technology is able to solve every problem seems to be back in vogue, and here I thought that we have learned something from the so called "green revolution" that flooded us all in chemicals in the fifties, but really when did human kind learned anything from history?

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:15 pm

people learning from history? we should but we don’t.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:32 pm

"Shell shocked" here too. Warmish for a couple of days, enough to make me think Spring has finally come, and then bitter and snowing the next two. Today was nasty north-wind cold this morning, with hail, but afternoon sun warmed it up to a whopping 11 Celsius. As soon as the sun went behind the clouds, I had to start the darn woodstove. Enough, already!
I agree with @Ontario Chick ...don't want to worry about flooding? Don't live on a floodplain. Don't buy waterfront. Don't buy a house built on a drained swamp. I mean, we're all dickered the way things are going, but the people living in new development tracts are going to be dickered first.
Carleton place has just passed a bylaw limiting the height of new construction to less than 4 stories. Why? Because they don't want to look like a city with high buildings. They keep spreading out, and out, and out, just like everywhere else. It's ok to ruin forest, farmland and waterways to put family housing on tiny lots, but NOT ok to build apartment buildings.
Nature WILL win over what we do to it. It always has, it always will. As long as WE are not living in tune with her, we as a species will eventually LOSE. Seriously at this point, almost 8 billion polluters/consumers/breeders on this planet, we've passed the point of no return on the man-made climate change thing and we're fast approaching critical mass.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:13 am

Funny you should mention Carleton Place, a new building was built on the Miss River few years back, I was under the impression they were Army accommodations, very utilitarian looking, last week I found out it's a Senior Citizen accommodation and on the weekend I noticed the landscaping consists of sandbags.
Perhaps if they had asked some of those Seniors, they might have told them it will flood eventually, but then the builders and the township just prefers to be surprised.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:34 am

Mornin folks...haven't commented in a while..must be shell shock from winter..lol.not really..it wasn't a horrible winter in my view, just dreary...birds weren't happy about it..
..I have to agree with WWW...we have passed the critical point..too many people...too much greed..not enough civility and this cowboy frontier attitude of me first and isolationism is going to hasten things and not in a good way...you can't have a society if you are unwilling to be social...MJ and I are truly fortunate..where we live..what we have...it puts us in the 1% i feel...maybe not in monetary measures but in just about everything else...that doesn't mean we didn't work for it, but we had to be in the right place at the right time and make the right decisions...most people, even in our very affluent society are not and make the wrong decisions anyway...and most are far too lazy to properly educate themselves, hence buying an overpriced, too big, poorly built cookie cutter house that was allowed to be constructed on a drained swamp with a horrendous amount of 'clean' fill.
No space for kids, cars or trees...don't even get me started on sidewalks..lol...wait!! .they don't matter cuz no one walks anywhere anymore anyway..like who can carry home that fifth 60" LCD tv from the big box store anyway?..need to go shopping...I feel for those folks stuck with their homes/ cottages on the river...those places should never have been built and now they can't be sold readily, after all, would you buy one knowing what is likely to occur again and again in the future?...right....anyway, it is sad..my son in law's mom lives in Fitzroy on the river and the water is at her doorstep...she has said she is stuck with the place now..no one wil buy it ...we keep hearing theae idiot politicians stating growth is good...we need more people..asshats all...spouting the same old crap and the sheeple (yes, those same that bought that big tv to put into the new swamp house) buy the bill of sale and blindly go down the road to eventual oblivian....god I love my life..lol.. :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Around the Waterer”