Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Pure Ameraucana?

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:02 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:29 am
Ontario Chick wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:06 am
If you are planning to breed Blue birds, start studying genetics of colours in poultry, it should take 3-5 years. :)
:laugh:
Only that long. I just got a headache and asked questions of @WLLady and @Ontario Chick and I studied a bit of genetics at college!
Sorry, I should have been more specific, it will take 3 - 5 years to be able to ask the right questions, and frankly if Kathy is still baffled sometime I say we do like most people seem to, just make up the answers.
After all there is a booming business done, where neither the buyer nor the seller are encumbered, by any actual information. ;)

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:11 pm

Oh no, I'm not in to birds for showing, but I do like to stick to pure breeds. I do have crosses too, but I do inform people when I have sold chicks. Genetics are too complicated for me and neither do I have the time to study genetics. lol gives me a headache too! I just don't understand how hard it can be to just come straight out and say they are part partridge instead of it's just a phase. A phase is something that ends. I thought she might know something that I didn't, as I still have a lot to learn. Thanks for all your input. I think breeding with my BBS roos with my Lavender ladies is the best for me now, but I did get so excited when I saw that ad, as I didn't know of anyone else had them around here. Actually I'm just going to bred a black one to the lavenders and then see where we go from there. I can always start over again. Thanks for the help, as I'm not going to go down that road for those birds that I am unsure of.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:21 pm

Oh phase is an actual description, for example in the Black Bear you may get blue phase, cinnamon phase or black depending on their area.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:27 pm

Sometimes folks just don’t know what they just don’t know ... Shrek
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:27 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:21 pm
Oh phase is an actual description, for example in the Black Bear you may get blue phase, cinnamon phase or black depending on their area.
Have you heard of partridge phase in Ameraucanas? Do you think that these are pure ameraucanas then?
I do have Gold Welsh Harlequin ducks with Silver phase, but I've never really understood why. Or should I say my understanding is that I could get Silver Welsh Harlequin ducks from them, but I don't know.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:35 pm

They are not pure, to be kind maybe they are trying to make a new colour in the breed. Stay away.

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:41 pm

ok, thanks Kenya! I will stick with my lavender birds for breeding to a black ameraucana. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Return to “Around the Waterer”