Port Hope: a bleeping nuclear mess

General discussion forum.
baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Port Hope: a bleeping nuclear mess

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:58 pm

Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Port Hope: a bleeping nuclear mess

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:01 pm

Poultryprincess has a thread on places to retire to. I gave a lot of info including to stay away from Port Hope. I just found this article: wow what an ugly messy history!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:17 pm

We Have certainly screwed up the use of nuclear energy. And coal strip mines have made a mess. Oil and gas field messes. Hydro dams that don't let fish spawn and break. And lots of things we have screwed up for the sake of energy.

All of the above have improved over time in their efficiency and the footprint gets smaller. I think nuclear can and will and should be the fuel of the future. Imperfect as it is, well managed and planned, it has the potential to be our cleanest and readily abundant energy source with the smallest impact on the whole.

Just my opinion, and open to slagging. Oh, and I forgot burning wood and deforestation in all of the above.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:49 am

The future of nuclear is thorium fuel - stable, no possibility of an explosion, abundant fuel, no waste (or rather the waste is minor) and it can consume waste nuclear fuel and reduce its radioactivity.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/21 ... -reactors/

Return to “Around the Waterer”