Assisted ANYTHING

General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Assisted ANYTHING

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:31 am

Inspired by @Skinny rooster post of assisted e-mails...
I thought I would throw it out there..
First were ABS, not fond of that, after spending decades driving intuitively, when I slam on the brakes, I do it on purpose and I would like to stop on a dime and possibly be kissing the windshield, that is the reaction I expect!!!! when I slam on the brakes, I don't expect the car to hop skip and consider it's options and yes I understand how ABS work, just don't like them.

Spent 2 weeks in a house with all the electronic bells and whistles, the house TALKED continuously as did all the appliances. Continuously.
One of the 4 giant screens froze and wouldn't turn OFF with any of the buttons on offer, call to technician offered suggestion I push several buttons in very specific order. I said no way Thank you very much, which was a good idea, because it took 2 technician 1/2 hour to push the buttons in just the right order apparently.

Watched a bit of a "John Maher show:, where he commented on voice activated car he has recently driven, on a HWY
J.M. "car, turn on lights"
CAR "open trunk"?
J.M. 'No F-ing Way!!
CAR " Opening trunk"
J.M. it came to my attention that the only thing stupider then opening trunk while going 60mph is having an argument with my car.

I understand this may be a bit of a "control issue" ;) but if there are any stupid mistakes to be made, I prefer to make them un-assited. :racer:
Last edited by Ontario Chick on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Assisted ANYTHING

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:47 am

Pulled the fuse on our van ABS - please don't tell!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:58 am

That was hilarious Ontario Chick! Thanks for the giggle :).

We bought a new fridge last year. Stoopid thing plays a little tune if you leave the door open for too long and was telling tales on me to hubby because you have to remember to physically close the door (unless you open it really wide and only then would it close by itself). We finally discovered that they have inserted a door stopper because people were slamming the doors too hard and breaking them. Stopper removed and life is good (with no tattle tales).

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:41 am

hubby's new car with a gps. "please turn left in 500 meters". "please turn left in 400 meters" "please turn left in 300 meters". "please turn left in 200 meters" (and i'm just thinking i'd better get ready for this turn, because i might just miss it)...."please turn left in 100 meters" (oh thank goodness i'm almost there and this thing will shut up) "Please turn left in 50 meters". (oh please no nononononono! but yep) "please turn left in 25 meters"....."please turn left". just for the heck of it i want to go straight and see if it says "rerouting"....lol. so we turn left. "please continue straight for another 800 km" (we were going to montreal). okay, i'll get ready for that next turn....."please continue straight for 500km". we finally found the mute button

and ironically, this thing, if you miss a turn doesn't reroute you, but asks you to do a uturn in the middle of the highway LOL

yep. modern tech. i can see how someone could get stranded in the mountains by something that says "do a uturn in the middle of the highway" while in downtown toronto!!!! all because we didn't take the express lanes (which said closed btw).....

Yep, not a fan of ABS....it does stop faster in snow, HOWEVER the vibration up my leg and into my spine is oh so fun....LOL
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:10 pm

Go to the dictionary. Look up Ludite. My picture should be there.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:23 pm

ABS does stop faster in snow? uh.... no. when I leave my place 90% of the time its a left turn East - 2km's up and down a quiet country road - at the end a long downhill and a stop sign onto a minor highway - I've done this trip thousands of times - in neutral at the top of the hill - coast down hit the brakes and stop. first time with ABS I was four feet onto the highway - it didn't like the stop - every other car - on snow with snow tires - lock em up and stop at the right spot.

I have a friend who crashed his jeep because of abs and stability and traction control. He swerved to the ditch to avoid a moose - at night in the snow - turn the wheel - hit the gas to get back on the road - but the computers said no so he continued sliding sideways along the ditch until he hit a hydro pole. he could have driven out but no.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:27 pm

Oh yeah - that's why the Boeing crashed in Ethiopia and before that Indonesia - the pilots were fighting the computer to pull up. SKYNET is here!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:30 pm

ABS does in my truck.....but nothing i can't do better. and traction control is a friggin liability! especially with 4x4 in snow! give me a locking differential and 4x4 any day....that traction control is the worst! driving on sheet ice, winter tires, going slow and the stupid traction control kept crabbing the truck sideways across the road. turned off and everything was fine.....
but i must say my ABS is respectable-at least was in a major snowstorm this year....it did save my butt from wearing a 150 pound buck across my grill one day with about a foot of snow on the highway.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:56 pm

If you don't mind me interjecting...
I think all of you are assuming that, as drivers of vehicles, you are supposed to:
1. know how to drive;
2. pay attention while driving, and
3. know the rules of the road.
With a lot of the new vehicles coming out, you don't have to know or do all that. Apparently, the car does most of those for you.
And, I can't believe that a new vehicle with a new gps does not have rerouting!
Just sayin'. :-)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:11 pm

DH says he wants the one that responds to "Fire Photon Torpedoes!"
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”