Assisted ANYTHING

General discussion forum.
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Assisted ANYTHING

Post by ross » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:24 pm

I never worry bout the whoa it’s the start that gets me . I prefer the old handcrank ones me self . Start a little fire under the crankcase to warms the oil & brew a cup . Give her a good crank , keep yer thumbs down or is that for ropin nope thumbs up to rope cattle thumbs down to start old Bessie & away yu go . Honk honk
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Allan
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Allan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:29 pm

In my car ABS is the acronym for “AHHH BULL SH_T!!!!” Because that’s what I’m screaming while I instinctively push that F’n pedal as hard as I can while it vibrates against my foot and the car continues to move towards whatever object I’m trying to avoid hitting! I think ABS brakes are a population control conspiracy!😳

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:54 pm

Love that, KB!!! I have also heard said there should be "stupid darts"- to shoot sticky darts that would stick onto cars when the drivers do something really stupid.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:11 am

KimChick wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:56 pm
If you don't mind me interjecting...
I think all of you are assuming that, as drivers of vehicles, you are supposed to:
1. know how to drive;
2. pay attention while driving, and
3. know the rules of the road.
With a lot of the new vehicles coming out, you don't have to know or do all that. Apparently, the car does most of those for you.
And, I can't believe that a new vehicle with a new gps does not have rerouting!
Just sayin'. :-)
That is definitely the case, unfortunately for those of us used to depend on our own abilities, that kind of help is actually hindrance.
I also stil use paper map.
Not only because I am a visual sort of person, but if I get wrong direction, I would like to be able to find myself again.
The fact I can tell from the map where things in relation to one another, as oposed to a pink and blue spider on a 4" screen helps.
Also after finding things on Google Maps and printing the TWO pages of instructions, I can narrow it down to
RIGHT on Road 1
LEFT on HWY 3
LEFT on RD 2
and I can read that while I am driving.
Computer yelling at me while I am driving is just annoying.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:38 am

Ontario Chick, I just mute it.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:18 am

I can't even seem to make the "OK, Google" thing work properly, so I keep it turned off. I do not consider it a convenience or an asset to have to speak to my door locks, my car, my lights or my appliances. I refuse! :laugh: And as for ABS? I tolerate it, until the sensors fail. I hate, HATE, HATE the feel of ABS when it kicks in--to me, it feels like sudden electricity running up my leg, and startles the CRAP out of me. Electricity is NO friend of mine! We don't get along. I hide from it, but it tends to find me LOL and I've had some good lifters for seemingly no reason! I work in a laundry, and static is a huge issue 7 months of the year, so I lean against metal to ground myself out so I get little shocks through my hips and legs instead of big ones that take chunks out of my fingernails or go straight through rubber shoes and make me screech and dance!
When ABS sensors are failing, it's easy to tell because the darn things will come on at random when pressing the brakes. When that starts to happen, they go bye-bye. Disconnected, thank you very much. The only reason I leave them be in the first place, is that I'm not the only one who drives our vehicles, and a certain member of our household is very, very confident in their ability to drive and stop in snow, ice and rain, but the reality is...somewhat different roflmbo roflmbo
But automation, and "assistance"? No thank you.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:02 pm

I have a "new one for me" , hitched a ride with a friend in her brand new car, all buttons, no shifts at all.
Parking Lot stop to retrieve a ticket, she is too far to reach, unbuckles to get the ticket, pushes DRIVE button and it immediately switches back to PARK
she tries again, the result is the same, and then realizes that the car absolutely refuses to move, until she puts the seatbelt back on....
tp park the car.... :idunno:
awful lots of buttons right on the steering wheel, not sure how one would find the right button without looking away from road.
Screen way too big in my opinion, no way to drive without it being in your line of vision constantly, very distracting.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:33 pm

While I'm not a big fan of "talking and taking over" cars and fridges and the like, I will admit that Alexa and I are "friends" because my DH has MCI (a precursor to Alzheimer's), and "she" helps me while I'm at work. Like reminding him to take his meds.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:04 am

My friends car has no key hole to enter the car its the car fob or you don't get in. The car fob wouldn't work the other day so someone had to drive her home to get her other car fob. How stupid is that. The rest of us didn't believe her at first when she said there was no key hole, never heard of that before.

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:58 am

If you guys ever buy a newer vehicle that has "Adaptive Cruise Control" or the "Autopilot"(Tesla) it is IMPERATIVE that you understand how the thing works and when it doesn't!

They use radar to get the speed of the vehicles in front of you. However radar is a noisy signal with false readings sent back from the road itself, trees, signs and other things at the side of the road. So for the electronics to handle it, they programmed in a filter: If you go faster than ~80 km/h,ignore anything standing still.
So far so good. Problem comes when you have this situation: Driving on Highway following a car. Car in front slows down to turn right and pulls over. You now have an open highway. Surprise! Firetruck parked in your lane to tend to an accident.
Car response: speed up, road is clear!
You now HAVE to intervene and hit the breaks!!! Don't be reading a book now just because you have autopilot!!

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-autop ... ash-radar/
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/06/wh ... -dividers/
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Return to “Around the Waterer”