Am I reading this right?

General discussion forum.
modern17
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Re: Am I reading this right?

Post by modern17 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:25 pm

Lets not blow this out of proportion by thinking sending a notification to KIJIJI will change the world... yes the cock fighting industry still exists in this province, in Canada and across north america not to mention through out the world. In some countries it is the National sport still in this day and age.... not saying it is right or wrong .. but.... Nothing anyone can do about it.It is on law enforcements radar in this country but it is so wide spread with many twists and turns that do not appear on the surface. This includes cultural issues and traditions both native and imported ,and most with different outlooks on life , makes it a touchy subject for government to enforce with out alienating several identifying groups, In short a bigger entity than most can comprehend.. This guy is greatly out of touch that is advertising these birds for what they are not ,to that I see some one just trying to get rid of stuff as if you look at his other post he is moving stuff to move stuff not really anything out of normal. Not condoning cock fighting, but to think that this illegal sport does not happen in our world is to be naive. Just because something is illegal does not mean it does not exist.( think drugs, automatic weapons or even speeding in your car.. all illegal and all exist) I know several who operate in this world of fighting birds .. as matter of fact .. next bird sale you go to or show or what ever bird or animal gathering you may attend .. look to your left and look to your right .. you probably saw a cock fighter and did not know it. I must stress this is not my world but I do have a distant understanding for it.My show birds ( moderns) originated from fighting birds but due to the abolishment of cock fighting in the UK in the late 1800s... they changed the style and mannerisms of these bird to the gentle and different birds they are today .Many at that time ( late 1800s) still wanted the beautiful colour patterns and demeanor of game birds but did not want to be confused with the fighting element . I do not shun their past but understand it and realize it was a different time . I think that any illegal activity is wrong but if something is made illegal it will go underground. Just a fact of life. My words are not meant to ensight outrage or belittle anyone opinions but rather to take a common sense approach that we can only control what we do and not what others do . My 2 cents .

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:43 pm

Right, so let's all turn a blind eye and do nothing. I reported it because aside from the obvious, the ad advocates cockfighting and may encourage someone else, who isn't already involved, to "join the club".
Just my two cents.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

modern17
Starting to Crow

Post by modern17 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:33 pm

I see you missed my point.. thats ok
TL

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:36 pm

No, I didn't. But you've chosen to dismiss my point. That's okay.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:02 pm

can i give them the benefit of the doubt and think maybe esl and means fighting off predators?? yeah i didnt think so....anyways i would be shocked if he could get 5$ for any of them and if they were for fighting i would have expected dubbing....sigh. just dont support him by buying them for fighting. and dont support him by buying then for 35$ to "save"them...either way supports him if hes into fighting. i thought there was a cockfighting ring busted down in this area (tilbury maybe) a couple years ago....dogs and birds....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:52 am

A couple of years ago (I think) someone in the poultry community in Upper New York State was arrested and charged over cock fighting. Never heard what happened but the Police said they found training paraphernalia in his property.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:48 am

It's legal in some US states and other countries,
That doesn't make it any less reprehensible, and I can't imagine the mentality of anybody thinking it is OK to attach razor blades on legs of a bird to cause as much damage as possible.
The birds are equipped by nature to fight another male.
One would hope humans have evolved a bit above just pure instincts, but sometime one has to wonder.

BobG
On the Roost

Post by BobG » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:31 am

The sport of cockfighting is no longer legal in any states . Troy is correct in his thread that the sport is still active across Canada even more so in the USA. I would like to say this the APA has just over 3000 members ,a survey in the late 1990s estimated that there was over 300,000 breeders of pit games in the USA. This sport will never go away it will just continue to go underground like it has in Canada . In BC the Philipino community has many advocates for the sport it is considered part of their culture . In our local poultry club we have several members who breed gamefowl whom we have never seen @ meetings or shows yet they have belonged to the club for over 20 yrs.
Chilliwack B.C. Breeder, Exhibitor of SC Large RIR , Brown Red Modern Game Btms, Brown Red O.E. Btms , Grey Call Ducks

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:18 pm

The guy is either clueless or cunning. He probably thinks the Boer war was a pigfight. These are just regular roosters. I am against cock fighting, but are we not getting all worked up over a particular situation (the kijiji ad) that is not real as far as cock fighting goes?

And yes, in the Tilbury area, a couple years ago a dogfighting ring. Not directly connected, but about a dozen cockfighting charges laid from Niagara to Windsor a few years ago too. They can't catch them all, some are underground, but we should keep an eye out for real signs and do what we can to stop it. But twaddle like this? Leave it be.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:25 pm

:good post:

Return to “Around the Waterer”