Extreme Cold!!!!

General discussion forum.
muffin57
Chatty Hen

Extreme Cold!!!!

Post by muffin57 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:19 pm

Man, is it ever cold and apparently to continue into February. At 10pm we are -30 feeling like -43. Hydro went out at 2pm today until 4:30pm. We were the lucky ones though, as we have wood heat and some others in other rural townships were out from 7:30am until 4:30pm. Great time for the hydro to go out when it is so cold. Terrible time for pipes freezing and other things that can go wrong in these temps. We have been fortunate so far with no pipes freezing, but I don't know about others. How are you all making out in these temps? I hope everyone stays warm.

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Re: Extreme Cold!!!!

Post by muffin57 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:22 pm

I should have mentioned that last night we were -33 feeling like -44, so I believe it is going to be a lot colder tonight.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:37 am

Thank goodness we haven't gotten that cold here, I feel for you. We have a small generator that we turn on here as the hydro frequently goes out here.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:06 am

Brrrrrrr! It hasn't been that cold here yet either. We had a couple days of -35, and burst a pipe, then it shot up to plus 1, and then back down. Minus 32 at the moment, too cold for comfort!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:57 am

We have a generator too. -31 was our coldest before wind chill. Even the turkeys didn't want to come out that day! Chickens are hunkering down and so far managing :xfingers: . We get wind where we are so it's not even fun to go out and Xcountry ski.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:02 am

okay, so inuvik, up north, is warmer than we are....and we're in southwestern ontario snuggled up to a lake. go figure. i'm not complaining, because you folks up there closer to ottawa are a ton colder than down here! my weather station this morning ready -24. for here, that's awfully cold! especially with the lakes not frozen over yet! so looks like it's gearing up for snow, keeping an eye on the weather today. horse trough had ice over it this morning, even with the heater running....so broke that out for the horses (they eat snow of their own volition anyways). all the turkeys and chickens were singularly unimpressed. i feel for all livestock in this weather.....but everyone seemed warm, and even my moulting turkey jenny was snuggled up between another hen and the tom this morning staying warm. her feathers are growing in real fast right now, hopefully by the end of the week she'll be a little warmer on her own. stay warm everyone! i'm so glad i put heat cable on the hydrants in the barn this year. looks like we might just need them!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:06 am

Kathy , don’t your hydrants drain out at bottom into a gravel bed ?
Yep cold here too . Have a Jenny too . Only problem have to go outside to pull start . Brrr used once so far .Hook up to furnace or water pump whatever needed . My arthritis plays hell in this weather so Donna does barn chores I drive out later in covered snowblower to exercise dog & check critters . Hope new knee on Wed will help for getting around in this crap next year . Not ready to sit in lazy boy & hug grandkids yet . They’s getting to big anyway . Birds loose in barn doin just fine , still getting enough eggs for wknd feed for 2 . Luck all
This time of year I have 24/7 feed out . Pellets , whole corn , grit .
Last edited by ross on Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:12 am

My toes in my -40 boots were frozen this morning after chores. Warm oatmeal for all the hens and my oddly sick girl got her scrambled eggs and crackers this morning. Heat is on in all the coops. And yet again everyone is in my smallest coop that has the heat on all winter. Even my standard Rooster, Oliver, was in the smallest nesting box...lol a wee bit cold this morning. My weather station read -28.1 when I went out this morning...brrrrrrr

Stay warm everyone.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:56 pm

I still have 5 in the house and one hen is becoming quite bossy about her food and water. Clucking away and banging on the front of the cage demanding to be fed when she sees me.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:34 pm

When I got home from work at 3 am, the wood stove wasn't keeping up, and the propane furnace (set at 55 F) was trying to kick in. I had to go out and pour water on the tanks to get more vapour, they weren't gassing enough to actually run the furnace! I think a second wood stove may be in our future. Or a move to Australia.

Return to “Around the Waterer”