A pet's very sad end

General discussion forum.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

A pet's very sad end

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:11 am

Just saw this article from Vancouver Island. A dozen eagles poisoned. Six alive and maybe going to make it, six dead.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/01/20 ... ed-eagles/

Most people don’t realize the majestic eagle is mostly a scavenger, not a hunter. The prime suspect here is a euthanized pet improperly disposed of, and the eagles found it and ingested poisons used to “humanely” put someone’s pet down.

Now the loved pet may be calm and all when passing, but the vet poisons their system with drugs. And there are rules and protocols that need to be observed when disposing of the body.

I am guessing that someone with a soft heart and (softer head) just couldn’t face taking care of Fluffy properly, and tossed him out in the bush, or even gently laid him under a tree. Then the eagles and this news story. The other option when done properly, the poison is four feet down in the soil and poisons the ground but no other animals, except maybe some worms.

So now I present my philosophy:
I have made a covenant with my animals that they will be fed and watered and taken care of to the best of my ability and for them to have a decent life. When that is no longer possible, I promise them they won’t suffer unduly.

So as part of this agreement, it can be necessary to put an animal down. I take that seriously and consider it my job to see that it is done well. Not nice, but my responsibility.

That could be getting the vet to do the job, which costs money, and I am not convinced that it is more humane than a properly placed bullet, which I mostly choose for mine.

And then my choice is to take the body out to the bush to be recycled by the coons, crows, worms and maybe eagles, and I know they are getting fed and not on poisons. Fluffy is getting recycled and will live again in a different form.

My choice does not have to be everyone’s. But I want basically kind people to think it through and whatever way they choose, do it properly.

RANT RANT RANT You get the idea. I feel really strongly about this one.

PS, As an aside, that is also what I would choose for my body when I don't need it any more, but that is not allowed here, so donating to the university if they need it. Papers actually made out and those that might need to know informed.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: A pet's very sad end

Post by Kbr42 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:27 am

I saw that one the news yesterday and could believe someone would do that. Still heart sick over it.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: A pet's very sad end

Post by ross » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:28 am

Received this from a friend wintering in Arizona. Had to put old dog down . This appeared in sky that week she said . Title “I guess dogs do go to heaven”
Attachments
9F95BE81-7766-4170-A39B-0B31FE74028B.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Around the Waterer”