House birds

General discussion forum.
Shnookie
Free Ranging

Re: House birds

Post by Shnookie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:38 pm

Kenya, I put a thermometer in the pullet pen yesterday afternoon. They were on the windy side of the building then. At 4:00 the temperature was -9, but the sun had been shining on the wall for the afternoon. The pen is about 6 feet away from the wall. At 12:30 today the temperature in the pullet pen was -12. Wind chill at that time was -40 and the sun was not on their side of the building. The wind is not on their side of the building today. This morning when I went into their pen the pullets were sitting on the roost and had frost on their faces. The main part of the building feels colder and more humid than yesterday. Wind chill overnight was -50. Other chickens were fluffed and a bit frosty too.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:52 pm

The Cozy Coop heater is on at a good sale price at TSC this week.
https://www.tscstores.com/HEATER-CHICKE ... 53427.aspx
It's a good little unit, and has two options: 100 watts or 200 watts. I just picked up another one for DH to put under his desk while he's working, since the one we have is in service in the chicken coop. It won't heat the coop but takes the edge off. My two youngsters and my old Silkie girl park themselves next to it at night.
Oh, and if anyone is contemplating a 400 watt Econo flat panel heater and lives near the Winchester area, Rideau Auctions Liquidation Centre has three at the back wall of the store, priced at $99, less their 30% discount.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:00 pm

Oh that is cold Shnookie. It was -29 here last night with a wind chill of -44. Today it is -24 with a wind chill of -36. We have one more cold night and it warms up tomorrow with a bit of snow. It's unbelievable, but this coming Monday it is suppose to be 2 above with rain and snow. The chickens and ducks will be happy when they can start to get out again.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:36 am

Hopefully now I can start putting some back out, now that the cold snap is over. Most of them I put out through the day and only brought them in at night, mostly silkies.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:25 pm

At present, I don't have any in the house. My BSLs and rooster that we never did put into the freezer this fall are all outside with a coop. None of them froze, but they did spend the week or so of frigid days staying in their coop. So that's where their water and food went, too.
The younger birds are in the barn enclosure where there is also no heat. We just staple up some feed bags to block the wind and snow from getting through the barn wall spaces.
If I had smaller birds and/or chicks during that frigid weather, I may have brought them in the house, too.

Return to “Around the Waterer”