WTH!!!....this is NOT cheese

General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: WTH!!!....this is NOT cheese

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:26 am

I have watched the quality of cheese and butter go down hill since the mid nineties when the Dairy industry sued the government to lover the required fat content in butter and allow solids aded to it.
Since I am still cooking from scratch, the fact that butter is no longer as "spreadable" in room temperature as it used to be came to my attention some time ago, but don't despair, you can now purchase "spreadable butter" wonder what's in that?
I will admit that although I am a great proponent of "Buy Canadian" the only Canadian cheese I now buy is local Artisanal cheese, some great cheeses made in Quebec and East coast, or imports.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:58 pm

Well have you noticed how disgusting yogurt tastes lately, a guy told me to read the label... WTF... potato or rice starch!!!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:55 pm

Have been buying Pine ridge farms yogurt since the seventies.
http://www.pinehedge.co
Occasionally when traveling I accidentally eat what currently passes as yogurt..... :barf:

gubi
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by gubi » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:35 pm

yep sad world we live in when food has to be cheap. Stonetown Cheese in St. Marys make some really great Swiss cheeses. There is also Mountain Oak in New Hamburg and Gunn's Hill in Woodstock that make great artisan cheese here in SW Ontario.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:49 pm

Does Saputo, who bought out Armstrong (I think) still make good cheese?
I remember seeing the Armstrong cheese company when driving through Harrowsmith (?), and then, another time, it was torn down.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:52 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:55 pm
Have been buying Pine ridge farms yogurt since the seventies.
http://www.pinehedge.co
Occasionally when traveling I accidentally eat what currently passes as yogurt..... :barf:
Saugeen yogurt is very good; it uses only milk. I used to buy that before moving here and making my own.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:53 pm

Skinny rooster wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:58 pm
Well have you noticed how disgusting yogurt tastes lately, a guy told me to read the label... WTF... potato or rice starch!!!
It is quite easy to make your own yogurt. Try it sometime.

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:14 pm

We don't eat a lot of cheese any more, but do like Balderston Cheese, mainly I guess because the cheese was originally made in the Village of Balderston, which is close to where my wife's family lived for years. Now Balderston cheese is made in Winchester, still in Eastern Ontario.

@TomK hopefully the Balderston Cheese tradition of quality continues, as it is now owed by the food conglomerate, Parmalat, which also owns the brands Black Diamond, Cheese Strings, Astro, Beatrice and Lactantia.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:18 pm

JimW wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:14 pm

@TomK hopefully the Balderston Cheese tradition of quality continues, as it is now owed by the food conglomerate, Parmalat, which also owns the brands Black Diamond, Cheese Strings, Astro, Beatrice and Lactantia.

JimW
Jim..yeah i read that about Balderson being owned by the big guys....sad really...how does this help or improve the consumer?..rhe real answer is that it doesn't..the brick of cheese we picked up went over well here but i am on the search for some better artisanal small batch cheeses..willing to pay the price..who knows where this will lead...no where good is my guess...i have a good friend to whom i mentioned this issue...she said her family eats a lot of cheese and so it is not affordable to pay the prices asked of these other small cheese makers..I said, but you aren't actually eating real cheese...some things just arent getting heard...smh..
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:29 pm

I am continuously amazed how much time it takes for me now, to source decent quality food.
Glad I am not trying to feed a large family anymore, can't imagine trying to do that and a full time job at the same time.
On a positive side (sorry dyed in the wool optimist)
a really good cheese although expensive, seems to be pretty satisfying in small amounts, just as well couldn't afford large quantity anyway ;)
Sadly given up on Canadian cheddar, one I like that to me tastes like Canadian aged cheddar used to taste,
is "Kerrygold" reserve cheddar, which is now available in IGA , cheaper then speciality cheese shops.

Return to “Around the Waterer”