Good Morning! 2019

General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:19 am

Good morning from lovely Westport, where I am taking my semi-annual rejuvenation break, somehow the view of the lake feeds my soul, although obviously I require a daily dose of chicken, for a complete sense of well being ;)
Colours are still very vibrant here, so an aded benefit.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:22 am

Ontario Chick wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:19 am
Good morning from lovely Westport, where I am taking my semi-annual rejuvenation break, somehow the view of the lake feeds my soul, although obviously I require a daily dose of chicken, for a complete sense of well being ;)
Colours are still very vibrant here, so an aded benefit.
Hey Hana...feel free to drop in...coffee is usually on...always looking for an excuse...and yes, there is definitely something to the soul cleansing quality of the Rideau lakes
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:59 am

Its a rainy morning... and cool, but not really. Just that I am a suck... and love it hot. I think I will finish cleaning the house today, (did the bathroom and the sweeping yesterday)... put away 'stuff', and wash the floors.

I have 2 butternut squash in the oven... need to make more squash muffins for breakfast. Not really a fan of toast.... like fruit in my breakfast.. (I will load them with raisins), I substitute honey for some of the sugar (took a little from the hives in Sept)... and get back to my bookwork.

If someone wants to kill some time, heres the you-tube link to the 'Fear thy Neighbour' episode shot on the farm last May. I'm in the very last part.. driving the school bus, but you don't see me at all, lol. These shows are based on real life incidences, in the states. Scary. I watched some of this being filmed, it was so cool. Crappy time of year, it rained and rained, and had rained. I hadn't even cut the grass for the year yet... place looks... 'dull', lol. They even got the horses in it!

Guess you have to copy and paste in the browser.. don't know how to bring it up, so you can just click on it.

Well, I guess no time like the present to get cleaning. Haven't turned on the heat for a few days... a bit ago, I had the propane fireplace on in the evening.... but don't even need it in the day, unless someones on the couch watching tv. That never happens unless someone is 'down a quart', lol.

Have a great day!
Last edited by Bayvistafarm on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:00 am

Oh... looks like it came up! Good. Don't know why its wanting to start part way thru... watch from the beginning, lol

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:25 am

OK, I just watched a bit of it and it's scarily looks like our new neighbors.....

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:49 am

So I did make the squash... scooped it out of the shell... cooled it... put it in the fridge to make a few batches of 'breakfast' muffins.... and came in from the barn one night last week... it was late, had an osteo appointment and stuff.... and Gary had a huge bowl, wolfing it down. Thats ALL he had for supper that night, and he ate most of it. GAWD. I still haven't recovered from that misery, lol.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:10 pm

What a miserable day. The rain was supposed to stop midday, but it's still drizzling on interminably. I brought out some greens in suet holders to the quail and the hens, as well as some cooked egg for Wallace and Gromit (AKA the d'Uccles brothers). Only Wallace ventured out into their run to try it out. I haven't seen Gromit come out of their house all day. Can't blame him. It's warm and dry in there with the electric hen installed as a hover. The run is covered too, but it's cool and damp outside.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:38 pm

On this second rainy day, all of the chickens that were hatched last year, and older ones, were in the barn. All the young ones were outside, under the coops. The rain had fizzled out by dinnertime.
The RSL's will most likely venture out of the barn once we thin out the remaining roosters (3 to go). Those smart little RSL's have been staying away from the young roosters.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:53 am

well that was a windy rainy weekend! glad that the sun finally appeared on sunday evening! i've had a feather explosion in the barn and coop the last week. i sure hope everyone gets their act together FAST....grow some feathers....
i really do need to move around the birds and get them into their winter coops. going hunting has taken priority...next weekend is it, if i have nothing by the end of this weekend i'm calling it tag soup, because it's just too rough on my body still. seen some nice deer....but haven't had any good shots (yep, i missed one that was born in the matrix and trained by neo....i swear the thing dropped flat on the ground in less than a nanosecond and ducked my bolt-i just stared....holy crap i've never seen a deer do that).

and our long slippery slope to ducks being pets happened last night. hubby named the 2 drakes. harry (black with yellow feet) and draco (black with black feet), and the white girl with the grey head is luna, and the grey duck with the white head is hermione, and then the two black ducks that look very similar are minerva mcgonagall and molly weasley. so. looks like none of the ducks will hit the freezer any time soon!

so that means we have mike-a very loud showy leghorn mixed mystery bird that no one can get within 30 feet of.....the harry potter crew of ducks, and 3 turkeys (christmas, easter and thanksgiving; who are ironically 4 years old and been named since they were poults). guess they're staying forever.....

naming birds is bad.
just bad. lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:11 am

Yup Kathy know the pain . Still have one of the 2 cinammon
Toms we got from you as a polt that were destined for the pot is a pet . Think Donna called him “Barney” A little same colour as him bantam hen has fallen in lust with him & sneaks in and out of his pen . “Dini” I think is her name . SIGH ....l
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Around the Waterer”