Good Morning! 2019

General discussion forum.
Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:49 am

Frigg....-18 This morning...one of my little banty barred rocks didn't make it! She passed last night in a nesting box, poor thing.
I see there's should be + temperatures in our future. Can't wait!

Post pictures pls @WLLady love little chicks pictures.
Enjoy the sunshine today.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:25 am

RIP little girl.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:39 am

Good morning, we seem to be back to winter, after lovely hike in the woods yesterday, I think we will be hanging close to home today.
Back to my WHERE is @Happy ???
I miss pictures of her critters!
@Happy if it's anything I said, I swear I didn't mean it ;)
Have a safe one!

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:56 pm

Yrs Happy where are you. Wheres my picture fix. Kbr42 has been giving me my baby fix, but where are you?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:46 am

Good morning, windy but +2 ;) here.
Saturday 15 eggs, Sunday 7, but really who can blame them ? beautiful sunny Saturday, you ramp up production, and then Sunday back to winter.
Starting to wonder if I should breed "Jewel" the black cockerel and if yes, to whom? so spring must be just around the corner. ;)

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:56 am

I'm hoping @Happy will be back soon too. :fingersx: And JimW. And Baronrenfrew. And WWW. And Brebis. And Flat Rock Farm. And Bayvistafarm. And WaupoosCowgirl. And theGawd. And thejonesboy. And ... and ... and .... Seems that a lot of people are taking a break from PTO this winter.
We finally got Lily back out to the quail run yesterday, only to replace her in infirmary with one of our Golden Italians who had somehow just ripped off the main flight feather on one of her wings. Wow, lots of blood. I got the worst of it off yesterday, and took another run at cleaning off the dried blood and applying wound spray to her wing again this morning. She's not happy being in isolation, but it looks like she is already healing up, so maybe she'll be back in with the rest again tomorrow. Lily was really happy to be back in with the rest. She went into her favourite house and dug out a nice nest for herself in the bedding, then came out into the run and had a nice long dust bath in the sand box.
Her eyelid is really messed up, but no longer infected and appears healed up. Now she has this big protrusion, but it doesn't appear to be affecting her ability to see out of that eye: she can still spot a meal worm just as fast on the bad eye side of her as she can on the good eye side. :-) I will try to post pictures of here right eye later this afternoon, and would welcome opinions on what happened.
Snow flurries here ATM, but at least it's +2. It sucked leaving for work in the dark again thanks to DST, but on the plus side, most of the girls are back to laying again. It even looks like any day now for Cilla, the Brabanter pullet ... she finally graduated from the top rung of the ladder leading up the the roosts to actually being on the front roost bar! :yay: None of the girls like Charlie, and Cilla is not interested in a "friends with benefits" arrangement either. He's also still crowing rather loudly, in spite of tightening his collar three times already. After yesterday's adjustment, there's still about a pinky finger's worth of space left between his neck and the collar and he's still eating and drinking and doing all things cockerel just as normally as he did before he was fitted with his collar, but I'm hoping that yesterday's adjustment will finally be enough to "turn down the volume".
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:19 am

Yes indeed like @Jaye said, many people missing, possibly because they feel there is nothing interesting going on, but that's because they aren't here!!! ;)
There is of course a danger that when you don't show up, people are going to be talking about you and making things up...
so I think
@JimW is taking advantage of March break and has gone Spear fishing of the coast of Florida :castaway:
@baronrenfrew has gone full time in to wood chopping and selling fire wood to the whole county of Renfrew, which is now blanketed under 2meters of snow.
@windwalkingwolf has just finished moving the greenhouse (since she lives in South/Eastern ON there is no snow there, and in her free time she is installing curtains and mood lighting in the coops.
@WaupoosCowgirl is busy expecting calves, chicks, lambs, puppies, duckings, and goslings and thinking about getting out in to the fields soon.
That's my end of the woods, the rest are too far for any gossip to reach this way, even the made up kind. ;)

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Yes JimW is likely hunting sharks.
Baron is likely making a log cabin type chicken coop.
WWW is likely getting tomatoes now from her greenhouse.Or maybe shes dancing with the wolfs.
Waupoos probably has a half dozen babies in the house.
Flatrockfarm is likely preparing her new pup for rallio trials.
Happy is probably preparing a photo studio for us all to come and take fabulous photos of our chickens.

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Haha I wish I was in Florida fishing... I am at home in the ice and snow and more ice. lol.

I did have a good visit with KB about a week ago. Trying to build a few new nestboxes this week and finish settling up my breeding pens, way behind my plans due to broken ankle last fall and all the snow and ice this winter.

I have to process a few spare roosters this week, once I get a mild day, though I have sold a few roosters the last few weeks to people who had their only breeder rooster die over winter.

Making a day trip to Toronto on Friday to visit the Sportsman Show. Then Saturday is Poultry Auction in Vernon. No plans to buy at the auction, but I like to look around and watch the event for awhile. Someone is bringing me a pair of Mandarin Ducks that I am picking up at the auction, so excited about getting those.

Well off to do some more work, until later.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:15 pm

I really hope @JimW doesn't hunt sharks. They are very cool and misunderstood people.
Good job Jim visited then because the whole place is an icy death trap now and he may have busted his ankle all over again!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”