Good Morning! 2019

General discussion forum.
Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Kbr42 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Congratulations! What's the final count...or did I miss that!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:52 pm

Final count is 37 - the six that hatched overnight were included in the 35 counted on the previous day of hatching, and two more hatched after that. So, about a 59% hatch rate, which is much better than I was expecting.
BTW, the outer dimensions of the spraddle leg physiotherapy glass, AKA shot glass, are: 2" top diameter, 3" high, and 1 3/8" base diameter.
Actually, since11 eggs were clear/infertile, they shouldn't be factored in to the hatch rate, right? So 71% hatched.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Jetsko
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Jetsko » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:41 am

Good Morning

as a newbie, I wasn't checking pto regularly - daily routine of feed the chicks (Elvis & Presley), dogs (Polar & Rory), make coffee & breakfast. Check the news & facebook then get on with my day.

Kept forgetting about pto but when I did remember & I would get totally immersed and enjoy every moment.

Then this morning an ahhaaa :chicken_dance: I put the pto book mark as my home page in google :yippiechickie: :yippiechickie: Now I can check in & spend some time looking for answers to any questions I may have.

I am newbie chicky mom and blonde but there may be hope for me yet :jumpy:

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:00 am

@Jaye what an excellent hatch rate! I never factor in infertile eggs. I count what goes into lockdown. Can't wait to see pictures...

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:05 pm

Jetsko wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:41 am
Good Morning

as a newbie, I wasn't checking pto regularly - daily routine of feed the chicks (Elvis & Presley), dogs (Polar & Rory), make coffee & breakfast. Check the news & facebook then get on with my day.

Kept forgetting about pto but when I did remember & I would get totally immersed and enjoy every moment.

Then this morning an ahhaaa :chicken_dance: I put the pto book mark as my home page in google :yippiechickie: :yippiechickie: Now I can check in & spend some time looking for answers to any questions I may have.

I am newbie chicky mom and blonde but there may be hope for me yet :jumpy:
Lol...we all start out that way
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Blizblaz
On the Roost

Post by Blizblaz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:30 pm

I went out to check on the wild crops this morning and got myself a decent haul. Had to stop before I sweat to death in this heat!
I keep trying to mist the chickens, but they act like It’s torture, and just run away! The quail seem to like it, at least...
And now my cat has decided he wants to play fetch, even though it’s much too hot in the house for him to be running around like that.
Attachments
Raspberries, blueberries, and serviceberries!
Raspberries, blueberries, and serviceberries!

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:35 pm

Good afternoon, taking a quick break from packing for our East Coast trip and cleaning and moving birds. Leaving tomorrow for New Brunswick and Nova Scotia for 9 days, we cancelled our 3 week trip out West due to health issues.

Finally moving the last of my chicks from my brooder pens in the garage to new grow out cages out back, I should have done it awhile ago but with all my predator activity lately I have been holding off, but temperature and humidity in my garage has been going up and down so much, especially at night, seems to be stressing out the birds.

No raccoons in the traps or on camera for 3 days now, so that is good, at least for the time being.

I had 4 french guinea fowl for the last year. I sent 2 home with KB the other day for the table, I have always had at least a couple guinea fowl around since we started keeping poultry and their are noisy, but wow these 2 guineas are really missing their 2 flockmates that I send away, I did not think it was possible for them to make more noise but they are non-stop now. I think they will definitely be dinner when we are back from the East Coast.

I hope everyone has a good day.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:52 pm

Jim-thought you left last week! LOL. i just had friends get back from the east coast. busy place. they were gone almost 3 weeks, and loved every minute of it. please please eat some (lots) of lobster for me (even though i'm allergic, eat it anyways!). We took 3 coons out of the place we were looking after. no poultry there. cat food. barn cats. these things were eating everything! we put out coyote traps and baited with tinned corn. we saw a group of 7 coons the first night we were there. last night driving off to drop off the neurotic crazy dog we saw a group of 4 coons in the field next door. hm....wonder just where those 3 had come from LOL. You might be able to hear those guineas on the east coast! LOL safe trip when you finally get out the door!

looking forward to fewer chores now....now that our friends are back. tally was 1 cat with an eye infection treated daily....3 coons dispatched. about 10 pounds of hairballs and dust bunnies vacuumed up, and i lost the epic battle with the hair stuck on the sofa....lol. the horse was still standing (and actually putting on some weight finally), one barn cat losing hair like crazy (going to the vet today) and one very neurotic dog that wanted to come home with us after we dropped her off. phew. looking forward to vacuuming my house and catching up on the chores at my place! (like weeding the garden)

hatched out 8 ameraucanas from my carefully weeded out the feather legged lines and phew, not a feathered leg among them (yet). all nice blue eggs. i think i need another boy next spring when these ones grow up. they better not be all boys. the older girls are off to home with my farrier the next time she comes to trim my horses (or earlier if she wants). totally forgot to drink my caffeine this morning-it's still sitting on my desk. yuck. finally also got some rain last night and today. our corn is not looking like pineapples anymore. yay! need to get into the garden tonight. blew my computer up yesterday (well, not literally, but i saw a pile of errors and warnings and then blue screens of death and then no more reboot....windows 10 had been having issues for about 2 years....so) guess it finally died last night. and honestly, even if it hadn't i was ready to fire it out the window! so a little bit of shopping needed so i can get started on the lectures for my part time teaching in the fall! yay! i'm looking forward to that, very much. i've been teaching 1 on 1 with graduate students for a long time, but not classes, and i miss it. a lot.

have a great day everyone!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:48 pm

WLLady wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:52 pm
looking forward to vacuuming my house
You really are a sicko aren't you?
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:29 am

well almost 3 weeks of looking after 2 farms means the house didn't get vacuumed. my dust bunnies could destroy your dust bunnies LOL
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”