Good Morning! 2019

General discussion forum.
kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by kenya » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:58 pm

@Ontario Chick Love those apple trees they look so festive!

So I look on kijiji chickens for sale every so often when I'm bored. I have to laugh the birds people sell saying they are show quality and they are soooo far from being show quality its a laugh. I have to wonder if they are scam artists or they just don't know.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:50 pm

i like to think that people just don't know....or maybe they've entered the backyard classes that are popping up this year :-)

well, it's SNOWING. and yucky. and windy. and the slush froze on the car on the way home. brrrr. actually it's not THAT cold, but nasty weather. got the lawn chairs put away yesterday and raked up the walnuts from the one paddock, closed off the other paddock we usually lock for the winter. and viola, here's winter! trying to get out hunting a little bit this week, but this weather is a bit nasty. have to go and find my shovel....going to need it!

new shavings to the ducks yesterday, and all the heated waterers seem to work....bought a couple of extras just in case since they seem to burn out at the weirdest times.
chickens have really really slowed down laying now, and the moulting is insane. they better grow feathers fast! tonight is supposed to be -11 or something. we still have beans needing harvesting....argh! soon the snow will be taller than they are! lousy corn yields this year. beans did better, but even that hasn't been stellar. weird growing year. ah well. tis farming!

well OC if you don't have deer in your apple tree yet....you will! LOL this weather is rude for them too!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:45 pm

Kbr42 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:29 pm
Good hen! Cute chicks...what kind are they?
The cute fluffy kind. I wont allow any others on the place.

Their daddy is that wheaten blue Amaurecauna I posted about last summer, Lazarus by name. With genetics back to your place a generation or two Kenya.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:24 am

Some space left for Photo contest entries!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:05 am

Seriously!
20191113_065726.jpg

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:29 am

I would put a like to that post @Kbr42 but I refuse to LOL!
I still have naked turkey hens and some chickens, just hope they get through this.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:33 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:29 am
I would put a like to that post @Kbr42 but I refuse to LOL!
I still have naked turkey hens and some chickens, just hope they get through this.
I hear ya! My fingers were frozen along with my toes this morning. I might have to put a heat lamp out for my last 'golden girl' she had bubbles i her eyes this morning ...poor thing

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:34 am

I feel your pain too, Kbr42, although not quite as acutely as you: "only" -14 here this morning.
We are having a hard time keeping the quail waterers free-flowing longer than an hour before they freeze solid. Our DIY heated bases are still not quite ready for installation and use - we need to add a thermostat which should be arriving today. Meanwhile DH is installing the coffee mug warmer we used last winter, which works okay up to -3 and then it warms up the waterer base too much.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:20 am

Jaye wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:34 am
I feel your pain too, Kbr42, although not quite as acutely as you: "only" -14 here this morning.
We are having a hard time keeping the quail waterers free-flowing longer than an hour before they freeze solid. Our DIY heated bases are still not quite ready for installation and use - we need to add a thermostat which should be arriving today. Meanwhile DH is installing the coffee mug warmer we used last winter, which works okay up to -3 and then it warms up the waterer base too much.
I'm using heated dog bowls this year, but for years i used cookie tin dyi waters. Easy to make and install. They worked great. Never had an issue with them. Good luck!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:22 am

No water heater here. Bucket for the horse and goats a frozen block this morning. I have two rubber buckets. One comes in at night and goes out in the morning, the other one comes in. They get drinkable water twice a day, so I know they will not die from thirst. I also have a 6x6 or so piece of 2x8 that I float on top of the water. Doesn't freeze as fast, and they can bump it out of the way with their noses most of the day, even when the edges are frozen.

I have two chicken waterers and trade them in and out if they freeze. Hasn't frozen in the coop yet, but that will be in order soon.

I don't that often post family health kind of stuff, but this one I am. My 90 yr old mother has breast cancer. Fairly well contained they think, but it needs more than a lumpectomy. She thought about not doing anything, being 90, just let it do its thing. I insisted she at least go talk to the doc and see what the options were. If you do A, then B; or if you do c, then D, that sort of thing, then she could decide with some good knowledge, and I told her she had my support whatever her decision was.

Her appt was yesterday, and we talked last night. She got the information, and is going to have a mastectomy the 2 Dec. When I talked to her, she was quite upbeat, like a weight had been lifted by making the decision. She wont do chemo or radiation. I kind of enjoyed her comment though: "I had to think about it for a while, I am kind of attached to that boob." She has asked that my wife go out for a week or ten days while she has the surgery. Mom has buried two daughters, and she and my wife are close, which is nice, and Cath is going to go out to Alberta. I like it that they like each other that much. Mom is still in her own home, and this will help that stay that way for a while at least.

I do like where I live and what I do, but there are times like this, in the big scheme of things I should be closer and more available. My only real regret leaving Alberta where I grew up kind of wild with her instructions on foraging and living on stuff that didn't come from the store. At 90, she will tell me she is tired, and I ask what she did today. "Well I just took ten loaves of bread out of the oven." And I say Mom, you don't need to be doing that, and she says, its what I have always done and when I don't or cant any more, I wont be me any more. Great attitude.

I do my best when I talk to her to tell her something the dogs/horse/goats/chickens did today and it always seems to bring her up, which is the least I can do.

Anyway, it takes a lifetime, and this is part of it I guess. Not a true downer, just a part of the process, for her and for me.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Around the Waterer”