Post by ross » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:19 am

Good job Ranger 👍
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Good Morning!

Post by WLLady » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:36 am

haha our dog got a possum once. martin went to get a shovel to bury said possum and when he returned said possum was nowhere to be found. Apparently "playing possum". LOL. So after all that was the chicken was okay....?
Re the rooster for sarnia, ah, they don't know what they're missing. free wake up calls. geez. some people.

yes @ross horses have access to bale 24/7. but these bales are smaller than last year. i can move them (with my back!) by hand! so we figure at least 200-300 pounds less. I'm going to go back to paying by the pound. At 9 cents a pound i need to buy 2800$ worth of hay to get through the year. They are clydes....they don't over eat either, amazingly. easy keepers (so far). but they guy i got the hay from knows i'm not happy with the size of the bales this year, and what i paid for them, and he said if we run out there's more in his barn and he'll work it out. so. at least i'm not left hi and dry like some other people did to me a few years ago! I could also get some small squares, but those are way too expensive, given i'd be feeding 2.5 bales twice a day for these guys. If i cut the hay back (tried) then i get hoof and gut issues. so. rather feed a bit more letting them have access 24/7 than pay for the vet bills. The guy i get to pick up the hay has access to a scale i think and i'll get him to just load and run the truck over the scale, and then drop off and i'll pay by the pound next year. he's also bought a bigger truck, so he'll only need one delivery trip next year too.

well, cannot believe this weather. going to take advantage of it for as long as i can! off to clean out some pens and renew some shavings, and let the birds free range until it snows again! will finish tanning up the fur from the yote, and still need to fill a deer tag, but there's virtually no deer around anywhere-no pics on the trail cameras at all. so may not happen for me this year!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:57 pm

Aahhhhh..finally a break...our xmas is always on boxing day so the prep frenzy was this morning...MJ and I are the maleable ones when it comes to which day...its super important for us to have every one here so whatever day works...other extended family have issues if the dinner/celebration isn't on THE day..I could care less...all my girls and their guys are coming so YAY!!!... anyway, prep is done, bird(s) are in the oven all stuffed and thank you KB...as usual I will be eating real well for the next week or so as MJ always makes far more than anyone can eat...just so you know, she is an amazing cook but a ttotal slob in the kitchen so I am the clean up guy as things progress...self appointed mind you cuz I hate the he mess if someone doesn't intervene...lol..but things will be wonderful and great fun what with the grandkiddos...I have a young BCM cockeral in the basement on quarntine that I got from my friend Debbie who hatched out 24 of my BCM eggs last summer and gave me choice of the boys if I wanted...I had dispatched 'Crazy Ralph' ,his father, who was quite fertile but a truly mean bastard...oops!.. Can i type that word here?... Too late...sigh....anyway, this boy is a sweetie...he will do until i find a different bloodline to incorporate...I do like the BCMs..beautiful and calm birds and I get very dark eggs from them, when they actually lay, which right now is not happening...have to make room for the switcheroo when this boy is introduced...or make another coop...like MJ won't raise an eyebrow or two to that notion...hah!... Lots of fun sometimes...so here I sit, relaxing, waiting for the show to begin...and looking forward to this years edition of the online poutry show...I may actually participate...HA!...may have to browse the seed catalog for some new tomatoe variety to try...now where did I put that?...must be here somewhere...damn old age sucks...can't remember much...where the heck are my glasses...a glass of sherry might go nicely with these cookies...hmmmm... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:09 pm

WLLady wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:36 am
So after all that was the chicken was okay....?
Re the rooster for sarnia, ah, they don't know what they're missing. free wake up calls. geez. some people.
Yeah, chicken is fine. Limping a little, think it was cramped over night and cold, but OK.

Sarnia back yard Rooster could still happen, but if a detective starts asking anyone on her questions, no one knows nuthin.

A few years back, someone let three roosters go in Merlin. Lots of talk around town about them, some believed, some didn't, then heard them. Was an open winter and they did just fine. Some one posted them in lost and found on Kijiji, saying come get them, we found them. No idea what happened to them in the end. Some people were feeding them. Some people were ready to go get the gun. It was a hot topic at the coffee shop.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:14 am

Good morning everyone!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:29 am

Overcast and its trying to rain this morning, +6 or something. Stupid chickens don't notice, pecking and scratching in the yard in the rain. Blackiewacky's chicks just about 2 months old, doing fine. Getting about 4 eggs a day from the lazy lot or 20 or so eligible layers, couple olive egger pullets pulling their weight at least. Goats are hibernating. Got to put out some more straw for bedding today.

Does anyone know how to get rid of sparrows in the barn/coop? I must have a flock of 40 shitting all over and I see no reason to feed them. Trap? They are scared of me, as they should be, and migrate to different parts of the barn when I come in.

Survived my mother in law's. After we left on Christmas day, whole lot of family descended. And the toilets backed up. Had to get a work crew in and dig up the sewer line near the street. Tree roots. I knew we were doing the right thing leaving Christmas day before the hoards got there. Dodged a bullet there.

Best to all in the new year.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:34 am

C.r.a.p. coming down in buckets here, had great plans for going out today or tomorrow, plans changed to
GET something cooked really FAST, we are bound to loose hydro soon.
What a way to wrap up the year.
One good thing in the barn, everybody is fully clothed, er, feathered again, so at least they are cozy.
I brought in some Christmas decor from the porch last night, (door wreath and ribbon from the greenery)
and deemed the rest, pots of pine and spruce boughs safe enough, seems I was wrong since I see one traveling across the front lawn.
What a day, hope everybody is safe.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:12 am

Morn , a slight rain & buffeting breeze here but ok . Was hoping to go out for last kick at deer harvest but may postpone . Bow season over end Dec . 🦌🤠👍
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:40 am

Totally yuck here too OC!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jetsko
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Jetsko » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:24 am

Good Morning.
I wish it was snowing - this rain & ice is totally gross.

Chickens are miserable, dog is giving me the sink eye because she wants to go for a walk & I refuse to walk on ice. My hydro is ok so far (fingers crossed) - Belleville has had electricity restored but small outages all around us.

Good day to read a book in front of the fireplace.

posting.php?mode=reply&f=26&t=5451#

Return to “Around the Waterer”