Good Morning! 2019

General discussion forum.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:20 pm

Genetics question here. Barring, what makes it happen? Its inherited as in the barred rocks. But I have no barred adults, and I have this barred chick. From a red Partridge EE roo and something. Does it come dominant and recessive? Or happen like a splash?

And if the pictures aren't what they could be, its hard to hold with one hand and take the picture with the other when you cant see the viewfinder. But not like the old days with film, where you had to wait weeks to find out what you had. Took about ten, these two showed the barring best.
Attachments
bars2439.JPG
bars2440.JPG
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:56 pm

@WLLady glad to hear everything went well, make sure to rest and not over go it. For my upcoming surgery my heart surgeon said no heavy lifting as well, apparently his definition of heavy is anything over 10 pounds. I guess the world is getting weak, when 10 pounds is considered heavy. During my recovery I guess I will only be allowed to fish for small fish, under 10 pounds for 6 to 8 weeks. :(

Hope everyone had a good day and evening.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:21 pm

At least it sounds like yu can still go fishin Jim . Don’t take out of water lighter that way . Lol🐠
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:23 am

1393656C-BAC4-4EDE-9D29-9F40A8EBDBD3.jpeg
good day eh! bring on the snow, my sled awaits!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:02 am

@JimW can you believe that i felt good enough to go to work on wednesday? after monday surgery? and yesterday i seriously had to tell myself that "no, i should not be helping to push a 2 ton cadillac parts car beast off a trailer....". doing great. I hope your surgery goes as well! I cannot wait for my lift restrictions to be lifted-mid next week....i honestly think my feed scoops that i use for the turkeys weigh more than my laundry basket....i'm sure DH is a little tired of doing chores.

@Farrier1987 barring is actually dominant and sex linked. one copy in boys means more dark colour, two copies in boys give a lighter overall barred bird. You have welbars from me and they carry barring. So that's likely where they're coming from, and that one there looks very much like the boys do for my welbar line.

Ug, i just realized that the sarnia show is today and not tomorrow! i'm not sure i will make it-supposed to have several people dropping in today! UG totally bad planning on my part. sigh. i woke up this morning thinking it was thursday because i missed monday and tuesday at work too.....another gah! this getting older thing is confusing.....

on a good note i did get about 1/3 of my christmas cards written, and about 1/2 my christmas shopping done.....still need to pick up a couple of small things. and my gingerbread tractor is still in pieces in a ziplock bag to be glued together with the royal icing-that's only been 3 weeks in the plans! i managed to brave the bulk store yesterday to get some things to decorate it with and discovered i really only seem to like smarties. the rest of it was just "ew" i don't even know WHAT those are....LOL. and the bulk store didn't seem to be much cheaper than buying boxes of smarties or decorations at the store.....? sheesh.

now i need to go through the 2 courses i'm teaching starting in january and get a calendar together for the assignments and marking and order everything for 40 kids to learn how to take DNA out of one thing and put it into another. It's going to be fun :-) I didn't realize how much i missed classroom teaching! hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:41 am

Back to making Christmas cookies today, somehow the charm is missing, since it's pouring outside.
The "naked" hens are slowly growing something...feathers still covered in sheating makes them look like porcupines, the black hen finally let go of the last two tail feathers so looks very short ;)
Hordes of wild turkeys still gathering apples under the apple trees, interesting watching how much their behavior resembles the chickens, two hens obviously having a disagreement and what looked like a young male, half heartedly trying to get between them without getting hurt in the process.
picture is from couple of days ago, no snow left now, sorry @baronrenfrew the sled will have to wait
Turkeys under the old apple tree.jpg

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:51 am

Nice pic OC
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:15 am

Thank you @ross
snow is back so @baronrenfrew your sled is back in business :YES:
sitting at my desk looking out the window watching our snow cleaning man tractor stopped in the middle of the driveway picking up some parts out of the snow bank, never a good sign, we may need your sled baron....

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:45 am

And a good Sunday morning to everyone. Bright and sunny here on Lake Erie. Froze overnight, but not real hard.

Breaking a broody hen again. In a cage no food and no litter of any kind, but she has water. Been there for 36 hrs now, will let her out at bedtime tonight, see if her hormones have changed.

Going to transplant an apple tree that has been there three years and the goats keep topping. I will put it out under the power line. Because of pruning, it will never be a problem height wise and lots of sun. Will be fully dormant now and the ground is not frozen enough to stop me digging.

One last goat to get bred, should happen in few next few days. That will make all three with child, mid March, Mid Aprtil and late May. Been about four days since last time I milked and she was pretty tight and I milked her this morning, probably the last time. She has been kicking at me the last few times. She and her body know its time, she has other things to put her energy into.

The wonderful one gets home on Friday after taking care of my convalescing mother. I will be pleased.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:36 am

Does anyone have a photo or video of a rooster puffing out neck feathers ready to attack? I never knew they did this! like some kind of lizard! It looks so weird! I am trying to explain this to someone, but a picture would be better.

Return to “Around the Waterer”