Good Morning! 2019

General discussion forum.
WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Good Morning!

Post by WLLady » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:53 am

@Kbr42 It will likely be one of these, or something close to one of these....i don't remember paying more than 12$ a piece for them. but the exact one will depend on the voltage and amps of the wiring in the dish, so best to open it and find the number on the one that's in there first.

317-1492-ND
317-1491-ND
317-1489-ND
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:21 pm

WLLady wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:53 am
@Kbr42 It will likely be one of these, or something close to one of these....i don't remember paying more than 12$ a piece for them. but the exact one will depend on the voltage and amps of the wiring in the dish, so best to open it and find the number on the one that's in there first.

317-1492-ND
317-1491-ND
317-1489-ND
Thanks very much! I'll opened it up and take a look at least i have an idea!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:23 am

Supposed to be another nice day here, +6 and sun. Yesterday BlackieWackie and her chicks were doing very well in the stall. Thought I would let them into the whole barn for the day and then let them into the general population the next day (today). My coop also enters through the barn.

I let her out, and then went into the coop to pick eggs, check water etc. She clucked and quirred at the seven and followed me right in. Started pulling scratch out of the feeder and dropping it in front of them, clucking and quirring. EAT THIS, its good for you I am sure she was telling them. So I left her in the coop.

Bright sunny day, and a while later, she was marching them around the barnyard, scratching and pecking and teaching them. About 4 in the aft, she was marching in and out of the coop hatch, trying to get them to follow her in. (This is a major hurdle for chicks the first time or two.) And no one was getting in the coop. So the next time she went in, I blocked the hatch with a big chunk of firewood. She was pretty upset, but I started catching chicks and putting them in. She attacked my hand every time, squawk, bite, wing hits, all fluffed up. But I got all 7 in, and she settled for the night. In the coop with all the rest. Anyone there tries to fool with her babies, could be making a serious mistake.

I really like my broodies and how they take care of their chicks. I like that the chicks grow up in the group, and no introduction problems, the dynamics evolve daily, no one day shock value.

And Bianca thinks she wants chicks. I have had her under a black rubber pail in the barn on the concrete floor for 24 hrs now. Hope it has changed her mind. I am not doing chicks in December no matter what she says. No food no water no light for a while and no straw litter under them seems awful mean, but it usually resets the hormones.

Where is my buddy WindyWeirwolf these days? I miss her abuse, haven't seen her post for a wile.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:49 am

Good morning,
After two week slog, barn finally ready for winter, everybody "Ivomecked" and pedicured, the "Naked Four" separated, not sure if they are ever going to grow feathers again so at least they can keep each other company without being embarrassed.;)
Going in to winter with only 24 birds, which is about a dozen less then usual, not sure if it's just the way things worked out of if it's a writing on the wall.
Judging by the trucks in the snow and occasional encounter, we seem to be overrun by dear and wild turkeys, I think we can kiss out cedar hedges goodbye, since they are even stripping frozen brown leaves of the peony bushes. Wonder if it's any indication of winter to come.
Yeah Jan, where are you, we need you!!!!!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:19 pm

C6003695-B4C6-4AED-B31E-4CE05234F248.jpeg
crescent in front of the eye - it IS a ribbon snake!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Good day from the Ottawa valley eh! Checking in again - only a few quail now - getting the "itch" tog et some birds again. Plan A was to take time off from birds and travel - my dad is sick w cancer and won't last long. My mom is a "people person" and can't stand to be alone so we we won't go anywhere anytime soon. Also got buried under apples so some two legged compost makers would be useful. Glad to see all the "usuals" are doing ok.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:30 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:49 am

Going in to winter with only 24 birds, which is about a dozen less then usual, not sure if it's just the way things worked out of if it's a writing on the wall.
Heck! I must have picked up your doz or so birds for the winter, im going into the winter with way more birds than I have before. Should be interested. At least now it's warmer....but queue the mudd!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:44 pm

My turkey flocks are considering merging now. 3 of the 7 "hellbeasts" are now in the main coop. They just fly the fence to the main paddock when they feel ready to merge.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:26 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:44 pm
My turkey flocks are considering merging now. 3 of the 7 "hellbeasts" are now in the main coop. They just fly the fence to the main paddock when they feel ready to merge.
I was more than surprised when i went out last week to find all my standards in the same coop! As they started laying they moved over to the main coop! Works for me, less to clean in the morning :wave:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:58 am

Kbr42 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:30 pm
Ontario Chick wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:49 am

Heck! I must have picked up your doz or so birds for the winter, im going into the winter with way more birds than I have before.
I was wondering where they went :lol:
Combining 3 pullets from this year, which include one that is month younger and being somewhat picked on, with 5 hens from last year, I put them in the "divided stall" which has 4' high fencing frames across, thinking they would see each other for a couple of weeks and then I will open the divider door, to get them a chance to get used to each other.
It would appear that the picked on pullet figured she would take her chances with the hens, so flew over to join them on second day.
Lucky Wyandottes are such laid back birds, and combining is now finished :xfingers:

Return to “Around the Waterer”