Good Morning! 2019

General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:25 am

BRR indeed,
Yesterday there where whiteouts all over the place, snow flying in every direction, was saying to DH how easy it would be to just stay inside.
Then bundled up and dragged the dog out, and the air was as clear as I have ever seen it, had a hight altitude, mountain feel to it, was actually dragging my feet taking the long way around, didn't really feel like going back in, it was so beautiful out.
Just proves that there is no bad weather, just inappropriate clothing .
Have a good one!

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:05 am

Oh no. I think I've got a broody now. She's only 9 months old! Ellie May is growling this morning.

My poor Cochin girl Stella seems to be having problems. She hasn't molted this winter at all and still has naked belly and butt from being broody on and off all last summer. She has continued to lay all winter. Over the past few months I noticed the odd egg that she had layed while perching in the night. Then I found an egg that was oddly shaped-kind of flat on one side. Her next few eggs were perfectly normal. Then no eggs for a couple days and then another oddly shaped one. Then she started laying soft shell eggs. They are typically eaten and I just find the evidence in the nesting box. I've got them on an all flock feed with oyster shell on the side and I've seen her picking at it. She eats a TON and aside from her generally looking dishevelled (she really needs to molt and get new feathers) she's in great body condition. Her crop empties fine and poop looks normal. Any suggestions?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:24 am

DH came back in looking like "The chickens are fed guy Meme. Even the heated turkey bucket had iced in!
:
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:18 am

Ok, seriously cold this morning. I gave up and put some heat into the coops last night. My buff Orpington...the weirdly sick one, hasn't moved from under the heat lamp since winter arrived. My oldest silkie had ice around her eyes yesterday. My female cocker spaniel cried all night until we let her sleep with us.

With not a lot of sleep I trudged out to the coops with fresh water and warm oatmeal. Cleaned and can back inside for coffee.....love snowy Sunday mornings :wave:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:46 am

Happy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:05 am
Oh no. I think I've got a broody now. She's only 9 months old! Ellie May is growling this morning.

My poor Cochin girl Stella seems to be having problems. She hasn't molted this winter at all and still has naked belly and butt from being broody on and off all last summer. She has continued to lay all winter. Over the past few months I noticed the odd egg that she had layed while perching in the night. Then I found an egg that was oddly shaped-kind of flat on one side. Her next few eggs were perfectly normal. Then no eggs for a couple days and then another oddly shaped one. Then she started laying soft shell eggs. They are typically eaten and I just find the evidence in the nesting box. I've got them on an all flock feed with oyster shell on the side and I've seen her picking at it. She eats a TON and aside from her generally looking dishevelled (she really needs to molt and get new feathers) she's in great body condition. Her crop empties fine and poop looks normal. Any suggestions?
If she's getting enough calcium (and not TOO much), vitamin D3 is the next thing to look at. A little cod liver oil in her food is a quick fix.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:08 am

Snowmagedon Sunday, and Wolf moon eclipse and no newspaper this morning, and our Snow Blowing neighbor is at the cottage, the crazy person that he is, so this looks like DH batting the elements with a snow blower only, that should be fun.
Off to make a big pot of hearty soup, of beef tongue (thank you @Killerbunny ) and red lentils, it's going to be needed.
Have a safe one!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:00 am

Yep 42 Silkies with all the fuzz tend to freeze up when face hits water & freezes . When I had um I trimmed the faces & angled the waterer for winter .
Yep snow stopped here time to get moving it. Only 2nd time this year . Not bad as some areas tho. Luck all our critters just fine in barn .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:59 am

Ontario Chick wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:08 am
Snowmagedon Sunday, and Wolf moon eclipse and no newspaper this morning, and our Snow Blowing neighbor is at the cottage, the crazy person that he is, so this looks like DH batting the elements with a snow blower only, that should be fun.
Off to make a big pot of hearty soup, of beef tongue (thank you @Killerbunny ) and red lentils, it's going to be needed.
Have a safe one!
Tongue from Jans beef!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:43 am

wow, that's a chilly one this morning. there's frost on EVERYTHING and we were under that one squall....so we have SNOW! LOL. no more ugly brown frozen dirt. yay! horses are getting extras, oats, corn, beet pulp and seem shaggier than ever.....i think judging by the hay all over ted this morning that he might have climbed right into the bale to sleep!
chickens all seem upright still this morning, and making happy noises when i checked everyone. the barn was only -12...outside was -22, so. waters were all still liquid and thankfully that wind had calmed down. i don't mind the cold and snow, but the wind is brutal!
i was soooo excited for the eclipse. it was sunny, and clear right up to just an hour before dark :-( and then the squall moved in and we had NOTHING but cloud and snow. all night. until 3am. when it cleared up. after the eclipse was over. story of my life apparently-it's always cloudy wherever i am. so i'll live vicariously through the media today i guess.
shovelled out the coops and the walkway and the barn....we'll plow the driveway later. so glad we did the insulation and siding and windows on the house this last year! it's so much cozier and less windy in the house! i could actually work in my office upstairs without an extra heater going yesterday. got the farm books done, GST remittance done, and found most of the things for the taxes. seemed like a good thing to do on a snowy windy cold day.
the only thing missing was hot chocolate. because we ran out. boo.
hope everyone stays warm today, and all the critters are okay!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:10 am

Yep cold here too . Barn just fine . Cleared snow yesterday but cause I’m in same line with you Kathy more to blow today . RN toe trimmer coming today to do feet / nails before knee replacement . Have her do feet cause I’m diabetic & don’t want to loose um . Oh yeh , got a call from hospital surgery postponed till Jan 30 from 28th . Have to be there at 6 , grrr
Two researchers from TO are coming to observe because I had a (right upper tibia ostiotomy ) years ago which makes replacement trickier . Go figure 70 yrs old & still being experimented on . Lol have a great week folks .
Attachments
1C5E2B91-F1C8-44FA-8B3C-E6502B32F202.MOV
(27.62 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Around the Waterer”