Good Morning! 2019

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Happy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:51 pm

I've complained several times on here about the unrelenting mosquitos at my house. I have a meadow to one side of me, a running ravine on the other side, miles of bush and river behind me and a farmers field across from me. Apparantly this is the perfect recipe for mosquito incubation. Today I bit the bullet and bought bug repellant clothes for hubby and me (and bandanas for the dogs) at Mark's. It's currently on sale 30% off and tomorrow (saturday) you get an additional 30% off. This evening's test was a pretty big success. I was sceptical but it does work. The fabric has permethrin in it. In my mind it's better than covering myself with deet. Passing along in case you're interested.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:16 am

Happy wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:51 pm
I've complained several times on here about the unrelenting mosquitos at my house. I have a meadow to one side of me, a running ravine on the other side, miles of bush and river behind me and a farmers field across from me. Apparantly this is the perfect recipe for mosquito incubation. Today I bit the bullet and bought bug repellant clothes for hubby and me (and bandanas for the dogs) at Mark's. It's currently on sale 30% off and tomorrow (saturday) you get an additional 30% off. This evening's test was a pretty big success. I was sceptical but it does work. The fabric has permethrin in it. In my mind it's better than covering myself with deet. Passing along in case you're interested.
We have been using Piactive it doesn't have any deet in it and it prevents tick bits as well. Shoppers is carrying it now. Just another option.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:11 am

Happy wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:51 pm
Wow, new one for me, sounds like a perfect solution for walking in the bush, I hate putting any repellent on my skin, definitely looking in to that one.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:30 am

Final count 4 ! I went down this am and took the rest of her eggs away (yup - she wasn't happy) candled but they had died even before breaking through into the air sac. This was the nest where an egg was broken and I had to wipe them. Pretty happy with this result.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:05 am

Nice result @Killerbunny all things considered, glad you got 4
Raining here for change, Garden tour organized by our local Garden club on today , lots of work went in to the preparation, the proceeds to go to purchase of a bench for a local Memorial, the weather couldn't possibly be any worse .
Have an interesting broody sitting on some eggs, started out in the usual box, took half the eggs out of the box and sat on those.
I put the eggs back in the box, and next day she was out again sitting on half the eggs.
So I thought OK if you can't beat them join them, took the box out and left her a nest of straw with eggs in it and she sat on them.
BUT next day, she moved the whole thing beside the original nest, all the eggs and some straw.
So I thought FINE suit yourself, obviously she knows better, but next day she was one space over again ????? so I says to her, "where exactly are you going with that??" and she said SQAAAAK !!!!!! and there she sits.
Last edited by Ontario Chick on Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:28 pm

Great result @Killerbunny ! Im glad you are happy with it. Piictures when you can pls.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:17 pm

Well isn't this weather just the pits...a few hours of decent blue sky and then another deluge...so much to do outside and sonlittle opportunity to get 'er done..oh well...have three cousins coming from Germany for a coupla weeks next Friday so you can imagine the pace around this place...they will be using our cottage as a home base whilst here so that needed sprucing up ..like i needed more to do..but i havent seen one since '13 and the other 2 way back in '08...so am really looking forward to this visit...have about 75%of the garden in if that gives you any idea of how its been around here pace wise...on another note, my bee keeper friend down the way called me a few weeks back wondering if i had any fertile BCM eggs..i gave her 24 in two batches of 12 as I got them collected...took me a couple of weeks to get them all ..i only have 5 hwns and one randy rooster...ahe set thw eggs into the incubator and last week the first twelve hatched...8/12...2 not fertile so I thought "pretty darn good"...i gave her 6 Brabanter eggs with the second batch and thoae eggs are hat hing as i write....so far, 9/12 BCMs and 3 Brabanters...not sure on the other three Brabanter eggs just yet but there are 7 more due in another week...hopefully not a bunch of cockerals but one never knows....and those Brabanters don't show gender early...muffs and mohawk feathers hide the goods..lol....exciting times for sure..I wil keep yaw'l posted and pics to come... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:56 pm

@@TomK if you have any extra Brabanter hatching eggs, please keep me in mind. I am happy to pay for them and pick them up.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:48 pm

Jaye wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:56 pm
@@TomK if you have any extra Brabanter hatching eggs, please keep me in mind. I am happy to pay for them and pick them up.
Jaye....ok...a dozen work for ya?
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:10 pm

@Happy

Try garlic spray, I spray the perimeter of our lawn and around my bird coops with Mosquito Barrier Garlic Spray. It is not super cheap, but at least at our place in does seem to keep the mosquito numbers down since I started using in it a couple years ago.

Well I have a small batch of 40 eggs due to hatch tomorrow, all eggs from other breeders to add new blood to my breeding groups.... Gold Crele Legbars from Ontario, Hmong chickens from BC and Ayam cemani from Manitoba. A few more hatches due the over the next two weeks.... Bresse Chickens, Opal Legbars, Ayam cemani and regular Legbars, than that is the end of hatching until maybe the Fall.

We are driving out West July 13 to August 4th, so I actually need to try and downsize my number of birds before then. Haha

Two weeks left then teaching is done for another year, June has been very busy... my annual student salmon fishing trip was the first weekend of June, then last Friday was our first ever school Relay for Life Cancer fundraiser that I was in charge of.

I have not been in the best of health lately, had an ECG on Thursday, 2 minute test, they said my doctor should get the results in about a week. :( I am glad Ford is investing more money to help our health care system. lol

Looking forward to a bit of relaxing when school is out, I need to get back out fishing again soon.

JimW
Salmon group shot.jpg
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Return to “Around the Waterer”