Good Morning! 2019

General discussion forum.
WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Good Morning!

Post by WLLady » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:49 am

Good morning all!
ah, the combining. constant chaos around my place LOL. i have 2 chickens in with turkeys - because they don't like chickens apparently. 2 young cockerels. and i cannot separate them out. they sleep under the one tom's wing....they fit easily through the wire fence and could go wherever they want, but they like the turkeys. okay. fine. stay there. i hatched these guys out, so not too worried about chicken-turkey diseases....
AND i had given 5 chickens to my neighbour for their kids to do the "chicken thing" and they were a bit late (still are) getting their coop in, so the remaining 4 (they lost one to a coon) came back last weekend and got popped right into the coop with their hatchmates from earlier this year, and they all must have remembered each other because within 20 minutes everyone was settled down like nothing had ever happened. had a chicken in with the ducks for a while....then a duck in with the horses....then chickens and duck in with the horses, then just a duck in with the horses, then the chicken and duck changed places, and now the duck is with the ducks, the horses are alone and the chicken is somewhere in the barn, likely in the hay because my dog keeps finding eggs in the hay, and there's a chicken missing......lol. i've resorted to leaving corn in the atv trailer so at least she can find something to eat now that the cooler weather is here

I really should figure them all out this weekend, get the old non-layers/moulters to the outside coop to finish moulting, clean the barn out, split up the youngsters and get rid of the egg eaters. And 3 male guineas. those things are way too noisy. i'm going to keep one male and one female. the others will taste awesome.

and here we go again in my family, guess the saga continues....another elderly family member diagnosed with cancer. Still waiting on a CT for staging it, and imminent surgery (waiting on the CT before scheduling surgery). This one is taking a lot of time and energy, as I'm listed as primary caregiver and first contact/emergency contact so lots of shuttling around to appointments and attending appointments etc. And a friend of mine's stepdad also diagnosed, stage 4....him i really really like, great sense of humor and just an all around wonderful person. argh! it is not fair.

I'm hoping to get a PTO calendar put together in december sometime if anyone desires one. It would again be a compilation of all the entries for the photo of the month contests.....let me know if interested, and i'll put one together.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:59 am

Good morning,
So far we have had rain, snow and sleet, interspersed with bright sunshine, and it's only 11 am, can't wait to see what the rest of the day brings :)
Most of the snow is gone, so I guess now is the time to put up Christmas lights in preparation for the December first unveiling.
The "combined 8" Wyandottes seem to be reasonably happy with the new arrangement, interesting how enthusiastic they were to go to the quonset, although they were not familiar with the system the moment the pop door was opened, they were out exploring.

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:25 pm

Hello everyone. Seems a few of us are dealing with health problems in relatives, or even ourselves. Been battling an ulcer... or at least thats what the Doc thinks it is. Constant stomach ache... hurts more at times than others... but geez....been going on a month now. Going back on Dec. 4th.... see how things are going then. My parents are still struggling.. my mom with Alzheimer's more or less. Dad with his COPD and Emphysema. Shes 75... hes 79. And live in Paisley... so far from us to just pop over and help out.

Had a meeting for this farm succession plan last Tuesday. Accountant was there, and got me 'fixed' up with quickbooks. I had done things right up to the present, and with just a few re-arranging of a few things, I was all reconciled and it didn't take long. Filed last 2 quarters HST, and then the meeting. I guess for all our protection with the farm, we will corporate, so this farm cannot be sold out from underneath us, or if anything happen to Jeremy (Gary's son), Heather his wife can't do the same. Depending on what happens at what time of life stage if that happens.. whether she sells out her share to the business, or what. This will also save Jeremy big money on taxes.. with both their job income. Just the ins and outs of it all, with the lawyer there, the succession planner, another Corporate accountant... and ours.. who has the numbers more or less for the year end (last year), and other 'numbers'. Gosh.. the cost of all these professionals to do all this for us, will be staggering... but a necessity to help 'get er done'. They also know all the tax breaks and programs to access to help defray costs too. In one hand, and out the other. Way out of our league anyhow. It would be so much easier to just say, 'buy the farm outright, and carry on". But it would be so easy to just sell the damn farm for a few million, and everyone live the good life. NOT an option, for this family farm, thats been in the family over 200 years. I won't give a rats all once I'm dead and gone. Also the other kids will have a provision for them also. Pretty important seeing as how one kid is 'getting' this farm and everything on it for a good 'price'.

I have many fewer pens of birds this year, and everyone has a heated pail, or font. Going to be DAMN nice this winter. I was going to let the pea's go, but decided I'd probably get a better price for them in the spring. I have an adult pair... probably 5 years old... 2 pairs at 3 years old coming.. and a pair with a female 2.. and a male 3 years old. 3 old turkeys living out their days..... 11 pullets from Kathy and 2 roo's... and 7 mixed from Colleen.. 2 banty's from her chickens, and 5 olive eggers back from my eggs she hatched. Kathy's are just beginning to lay.

A pen with 6 Royal Purple guinea's in it... a pen with 15 pearl guinea's in it... and an open pen for the free ranging 12 guinea's, who go out every day, and come back in every night. When I get replacement eggs from the 15 and 6.... I will sell the Royal purples (they seem to be in big demand), and kick the 15 out with the adults that survived the summer. Started with 20.

The only water that will freeze is the cat water dish. But they can go into that pen that the guinea's wander in and out of.. (theres food in there for them too) to get a drink, if they want if their dish is froze. I'm STILL waiting on a kennel heat pad, that I have been getting emails on, on its whereabouts. Seems after the last notification, its lost. Lost... but still having paid it on my mastercard. After a few inquiries to Amazon... the seller I got it from tells me it was rejected/or I moved. What horseshit. I told him to resend it... and gave him my complete mailing address and phone number. And told him to put a rush on it. Those cats in the barn have waited long enough. It will help keep them warmer this winter. 2 of the boys will be 16 this coming year, and the younger stray that wandered in at about 7 months of age, will be 7 or 8. Right now, they are in a large dog kennel thing (plastic), with straw and covered on all sides. Even tho they fight on occassion, they cuddle in there together on the coldest nights. So thats good. I feed them in that sectioned off space, so the dog can't get in there, and eat their food. One can divided between them morning and night, and all the dry they can eat. Spoiled boys. After they are gone... no more barn cats.

Cows are going to be sold off in the spring. Maybe keep about 5 to provide beef calves for the family. Those and their calves to kinda keep the barn warm. Just feed hay and pail of corn here and there. No more silage, or heavy chores every day. Gary will miss them, but as times has gone on, calving season just gives a crap feeling in the pit of my stomach. So much work. Not as strong to muster calves, keeping a close eye on them for problems calving etc. And Jeremy isn't prepared to put the time or cost into cows/calves.

And its Friday... and the weekend is upon us!! Next Friday another meeting with officials... and I am actually off that day from the bus.. PA day. That will be awesome, lol. But the next day a memorial service for Gary's cousin... they farm in Kirkwall..... she was only 54 years old, living on a century family farm... (her mother and Gary's mom are sisters).... I guess her husband was away in England (he goes there a lot... all his family is there, and his mom is elderly), and he flew back to Toronto, got there, and was expecting Fiona to be picking him up. When she wasn't there, and wasn't answering her phone, Richard called Fiona's sister to go see what was what. I guess the sister got to the farm, checked out in the barn, cow pasture, in with the feeder cattle.. drivesheds, before checking the house, which she would not have been in at that time of day. Found her dead in the bathroom. Heart attack I guess. Holy crap. You just never know.

I do know I would rather sit in meetings with the lawyer and accountants and bankers anyday, than attend this memorial. Its going to be absolutely heart wrenching. :(

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:08 am

All that lawyer stuff is fine and necessary. But things like the goats needing pretzels is what life is REALLY about.
Pretzels are held in high regard here.
Pretzels are held in high regard here.
And no, I don't buy my goats pretzels. But the neighbors do. They got these on sale, and got them home and found out they were past their best before date, so wouldn't feed them to their goats and gave them to me. I considered not letting the goats have them, bet then thought: "My goats can't read. They will probably be fine." I will see if they die by the end of the day. Might have a dead chicken or two and a dog, but hey, I believe they should live life to the fullest.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:48 am

I'm pretty sure they'll be fine ... Best Before Date means just that: best before. If it's an Expiry Date, that's a different matter, because it means there's a good chance that the product will be spoiled/not fit for consumption after that date.
:-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:29 pm

do pretzels go bad? lol if i take my late aunt's estate a few years back as an indication, i'm not sure they can if they are kept dry.....lol

lucky goats.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:56 pm

Those neighbors are good people, just sort of batchit crazy,
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:58 am

Good morning,
whats up with the white stuff, the weather man said snow on Sunday so I was hoping for few more days of grass range for the chickens...
ain't nobody here stepping on that white stuff, the primadonas !!!! ;)
Had the "tree man" over to check on lower branches of oak hanging over the house, estimate 3hrs x 2 men $ 600
Cheaper then new roof I guess, just hope they don't kill the tree.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:32 pm

Sale alert: TSC has Straw Boss (dust extracted chopped straw) on sale again starting this Friday, for $7.69.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:29 pm

I'm not sure that I like straw boss because it's so light and blows away. I think I prefer pine shavings. What do you think of it?

Return to “Around the Waterer”