Good Morning! 2019

General discussion forum.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:42 pm

Blaackie Wackie hatched in early Nov. Since then Peachy went broody and I had to break her. Red is in isolation no food water or litter since last night too. Will let her go tomorrow am, see if she has changed her mind. I just cant have little babies if its 20 below. Not fair to the hen, the chicks or me.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:38 pm

Anybody else haveing to log in every time they visit here? Trying to figure out if it's the new browser or @poultry_admin playing.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:49 pm

No problems here, I think you better have another chat with you internet provider @Killerbunny

Snow drifting around, but since it's supposed to be raining by Monday I guess we will just wait it out, looks like it's going to be one of those on again off again winters.

Looking to buy a squirrel proof bird feeder, amazed how many different ways you can misspell squirrel, anybody found one that actually works, without any additional armor needed to keep squirrels and chipmunks out???

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:33 pm

Ours works well and even keeps jays off it too! We've had it for years so just looked it up and it's the following:

Audubon-Delight-Squirrel-Resistant-Feeder. Kinda pricey, but worth it......

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:42 pm

I don't think there's any such thing as a squirrel-proof bird feeder, but squirrel resistant sounds like MUCH better than nothing. ;-)
I've seen several DIYers using a slinky attached to the bottom of their existing feeders that seems to work fairly well initially. I'm not sure if the squirrels eventually figure out how to get around it though, like every other deterrent contraption people have tried.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Jetsko
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Jetsko » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:08 pm

Hi - I bought the Brome Squirrel Buster Plus Bird Feeder from Lee Valley, 9 years ago. Keeps the squirrels & large birds (blue jays) out of the feed. When a raccoon grabbed it & threw it down on our deck a couple years ago - called Brome and they sent the replacement part no charge even though I don't have my bill and never registered online at time of purchase. Customer rep was very friendly, asked me to go to their website to get a picture of the feeder parts. She had me confirm the broken part, had me check other parts just in case there was additional damage. Parts arrived in 3 days. Tried imitations and cheaper versions from other companies - just wasted my money.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:38 pm

Nice & welcome
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:25 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:38 pm
Anybody else haveing to log in every time they visit here? Trying to figure out if it's the new browser or @poultry_admin playing.
Not me this time. check your cookie settings. You need to allow cookies to not log in all the time.
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:24 pm

Good evening, not too much going on here. Just a couple weeks until Christmas Break from teaching, which will hopefully give me time to finish up some odd jobs around the house. I finally got my date for my double coronary artery bypass surgery, January 21st, so hopefully I will be on the road to recovery in the not too distant future.

I recently bought some "wild" plant seeds to try and grow that are resting in the fridge until Spring, will be interested to see what I can get to germinate and grow... pawpaw. wild leeks, sea buckthorn, hardy kiwi, common milkweed, chicory and sweet chestnut. Also ordered some tree seedlings to plant to start to fill in some of the cleared areas on our property.... sugar maple, black maple, shagbark hickory, balsam fir and chokecherry. Also hoping to plant some apple trees this coming Spring as well.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:51 pm

poultry_admin wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:25 pm
Killerbunny wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:38 pm
Not me this time. check your cookie settings. You need to allow cookies to not log in all the time.
I have made you a trusted site (teehee) but my security is tighter than a dusks ****!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”