Good Morning! 2019

General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:46 am

Good morning,
Exciting day yesterday, grandchild number Four arrived and this is the total of what we are geting considering we have 3 sons, it's somewhat meegre pickings ;)
2 biological and 2 adopted, interesting what life brings.
Lucky I have given up any preconceived ideas of how my children's lives will turn out long time ago. :)

Laying is slowing down considerably average 6 eggs a day from 27 hens, but I don't think the Ameraucanas will restart before January, bunch of semi-naked freeloaders. ;)
Last edited by Ontario Chick on Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:25 pm

COngrats OC, long as all are safe and healthy that's what counts!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:52 pm

Congratulations OC!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:30 pm

Congrats, OC! Grandchildren are so much fun. At least, that's what I've heard many, many times. ;-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:00 am

@Ontario Chick do we know if grandchild is a cockerel or pullet?
Mutt chickens for eggs

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:20 am

I like grandkids 👍 yu can wind um up then send um back home to their parents .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:00 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:00 am
@Ontario Chick do we know if grandchild is a cockerel or pullet?
:))
Sorry forgot about sexing, nice split 3:1
the latest being a girl, so in chicken speak 3 pullets and one cockerel !!! :laugh:
Will have to get as much use out of them as possible, by next spring they will be posted again, and they will join our other ....once or twice a year grandchildren.
Used to say to my sons, just wait until you have your children, I will get even for whatever was the latest disaster they have collectively created.
Seems like I will get very little opportunity to fulfill my promises. ;)

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:31 am

Congrats OC! i also know another PTO member who became grandma again just a couple days ago, but i'll let her share the happiness! but if you have 3 boys and a girl...isn't that 3 cockerels and a pullet?? or am i needing a pile more caffeine this morning? (okay, i DO need more caffeine....lots more...but....)

started teaching last week. thoroughly enjoyed it. and no one fell asleep and we actually ended the class on time, and they passed their first quiz with 100% (all 3 of them). yep, super small class lol. and i'm up for 10 hours in january and managed to somehow keep my other job with reduced hours come january. now i'm just trying to catch up on writing lectures. and of course picked up the latest sept cold to go around.
pressure washed out the barn yesterday. it looks so good today. that will last all of a half a day until the birds start leaving gifts all over again. i desperately need to cull some birds. like about 70% of what i have.
decided i will keep some ameraucanas for laying coloured eggs, a few leghorns for white eggs and then only my gold and silver welbar lines.

so maybe today i'll get off my butt and get started. it will take me a while to get this done i think. i am starting to have serious doubts that the crops are going to finish up here before frost. my beans are just starting to yellow-about 5%....that means at least another 3 weeks. and we've already been 5C one night. the corn is nowhere close....
Our puppy has suddenly decided to walk herself, and i think she's getting over close to the neighbours, and all the way up into the north bush. bad dog. all the puppy teeth are now adult teeth and the destructodog has begun! want kindling for the bonfire, give her a stick. a rawhide chew is lasting about 45 minutes. and the fuzz on tennis balls is off tennis balls in less than 10 seconds. she has that down to a fine art. lol. she's doing good. i think she's finally almost full weight. about 80 pounds. hasn't done the lab spread yet....but super cute, not super good, but not super bad. a little headstrong and the brain cells haven't connected yet....but she's doing good.
oh, and a broody hatched out one lonely chick, and has got it running all over. learning the ropes, and when the cat or dog go over wow, i wouldn't want to mess with that momma! of course i think the lone chick is likely a boy....of course and a mix at that. yay?

happy sunday everyone!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:22 pm

@WLLady made me doubt my grandchildren/chicken math, but it's still 3 girls and one boy, so a quad of grandchildren ;)

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:08 pm

Well now at least 3 of my little pullets are laying, such cute little eggs!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Around the Waterer”