Good Morning! 2019

General discussion forum.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Jaye » Wed May 22, 2019 9:51 am

:banana:
fingers crossed for those Brabanter eggs, @TomK . How many did you have set?

I had only one of the 4 Brabanter eggs that were fertile hatch out, but that was most likely due to incubator temp and humidity issues and "newbie to artificial incubation" errors.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed May 22, 2019 10:41 am

TomK wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:58 am
we got to talking on chickens and such ..her small flock of mutts is getting older and she caught on that I had a small batch of BCMs, so asked me if I thought i had pure strain fertile eggs...now, the rooster is a randy sort and the girls are showing some wear and tear (actually enough that I am making some saddles for them) so I said yes, I was pretty sure that i had fertile eggs...so she had me collect a couple dozen over the last week or so...after i started collecting the eggs for her it occurred to me that my Brabanters were also producing what were probably fertile eggs too so I called her up and asked if she would incubate a small batch for me...in return I offered one of e dozen hatching eggs for free...well, we are in day three of incubation....🤓... Here's hoping i get a few more pullets out of this attempt...and maybe a cockeral to spice things up a bit or for a potential sale...I will be on the lookout for another line of Brabanters in the meantime...and I will have to increase the BCM count as well...THOSE hens are beautiful...curious, even tempered and good producers...almost better than my rocks...almost...and on the topic of production, I am sorely disappointed with the production RIRs from Freys...nice enough looking birds but dont produce worth poop ...7 hens...maybe 2 eggs a day...same conditions as everyone else so I can only put it down to breeding...oh well...they will meet the big rotisserie in the sky soon...anyway...by next Monday I will know if any of these Brabanter eggs are growing...quite excited... :run:
:lol:
and that's what happens when you start talking to people about chickens....

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed May 22, 2019 6:36 pm

Good News this evening. Kathleen had been acting fidgety and hissy all day. This evening I see one little fuzzy with her! We'll see what the morning brings. :xfingers:
:broodyhen:
Update - 3!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Wed May 22, 2019 7:09 pm

Jaye wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:51 am
:banana:
fingers crossed for those Brabanter eggs, @TomK . How many did you have set?

I had only one of the 4 Brabanter eggs that were fertile hatch out, but that was most likely due to incubator temp and humidity issues and "newbie to artificial incubation" errors.
Jaye..at the moment i have only 7 eggs in the 'bator..adding a few more on the weekend
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu May 23, 2019 8:32 am

okay duck experts.....incubation time for muscovies. i have 8 in the incubator right now....and internet says 31-35 days.....i candled yesterday and i think i have 2 quitters, but 6 look totally dark. and today is (drum roll) day 31....they're locked down.....guess i'm just being a nervous mom. i'm not like this with chickens turkeys and guineas....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu May 23, 2019 9:16 am

I am ALWAYS a nervous Mum! Good Luck.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu May 23, 2019 10:34 am

:fingersx: :hands:
Ooh, the suspense! Good luck, @WLLady . Here's hoping that you don't have to wait long for the hatching to begin.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu May 23, 2019 10:35 am

TomK wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:09 pm

Jaye..at the moment i have only 7 eggs in the 'bator..adding a few more on the weekend
So, does this mean you are doing a staggered hatch?

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Thu May 23, 2019 11:30 am

So I have Miranda the broody Wyandotte sitting on some silkie eggs. Here’s hoping! Yesterday I found her sister Mercedes squeezed in with her. I have been wondering how the other girls manage to lay eggs in that nest with Miranda sitting on it. It’s a good thing the silkie eggs are easy to identify, so I can fish out the full-size eggs from my girls. I have to move her to the little coop by herself soon because I’ve been given some buff Orpington and barred rock eggs to add to her nest. I am wondering if Mercedes is wanting to brood, as this isn’t the first time I’ve found both of them together on the eggs. When Ikick them off the nest, it’s Miranda who gets back on, and Mercedes goes to check out the food bowl.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Thu May 23, 2019 11:53 am

@Jaye @WLLady not just chickens. I decided this year my Grow-a-Row would be Brussel spouts, so I’ve had trays of seedlings in the living room since February. I planted half too early and they didn’t make it, and now I know why the leaves are missing off the ones remaining indoors - caught my cat munching them. So now my Grow-Row is going to be beets.

Return to “Around the Waterer”