Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:19 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:03 am
Go turtles!
You should put in the links to both those stories here.
Not sure if anybody cares enough to read it, but here goes
BTW Dr Keddy said the turtles are lucky to have us as neighbors ;)
https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-ne ... gh-and-dry
https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/colum ... dream-home

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:20 am

Brebis wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:08 am
Well there is a precedent for using the Blandings turtles to stop encroachment into wetlands and the like, they were the reason one Wind farm was stopped here in Prince Edward County. Hope the turtles win in this case!
Me too!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:51 pm

Go OC!!! Turtles are great!

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:02 pm

Well hopefully the turtles win the battle. I feel so sorry the home owners cannot install the 31 foot swimming pool, lol. Some many people want to live in the county, but then just turn their property into a large manicured "city" lawn.

Well I had my angiogram yesterday, I have severe blockages in two of my arteries going into my heart. Due to the locate of the blockages the doctors are not sure if angioplasty and installing stents is the best option, so it is looking like bypass surgery might be in my near future. My doctors are meeting next week with the surgeons to discuss best treatment option. Not exactly what I was hoping to hear. Moral of the story... eat healthy and exercise. :(
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:42 am

Best of luck Jim.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:01 pm

@JimW they are actually finding that the plaques aren't from eating wrong....a lot of it is genetic, and a lot of it seems to do with the gut biome....so don't take it too hard! i'm glad they know what the problem is! i hope that everything goes super well. I'm shocked that they don't even want to do an angiogram for me....at all?! just go in a burn out the electrics....it's scary. hang in there!

we have a farm close to us that uses a shotgun sound to get the birds off the fruit trees/vines. every day all day....at least they stop at 9pm....
rainy day today, and big thunderstorms woke me up last night. of course, look at DH and say "wow did you hear that last night" and get the blank stare....hear WHAT last night? LOL. i'm sure the bush in the ravine got hit once. it shook the house! think we need to move a bale today, and my reblooming irises bloomed again, so i might take some photos. or something. have to get things out of the garden. snow in alberta today means cold and frost for sure here in about 5-7 days. i have some more apples to get off the other tree, and a pile to put through the dehydrator. and lots of herbs to get dried.

i let a pair of guineas out last weekend, and this morning they had figured out how to get back into the pen they were raised in. so. guess they'll go out as a group of 5 or not at all. i need to clean out the turkey pens and sweep out the barn and do something about the dust on the fans....and the spiderwebs. so. maybe this afternoon. i'm having a super lazy day.

HAHA DH just came in with the other apples. guess i better go and do.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:19 pm

JimW wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:02 pm
Well hopefully the turtles win the battle. I feel so sorry the home owners cannot install the 31 foot swimming pool, lol. Some many people want to live in the county, but then just turn their property into a large manicured "city" lawn.

Well I had my angiogram yesterday, I have severe blockages in two of my arteries going into my heart. Due to the locate of the blockages the doctors are not sure if angioplasty and installing stents is the best option, so it is looking like bypass surgery might be in my near future. My doctors are meeting next week with the surgeons to discuss best treatment option. Not exactly what I was hoping to hear. Moral of the story... eat healthy and exercise. :(
Man yu can sure put lots a ducks , geese , swans & fishes in a 31ft cement pond .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:39 am

Good morning! Not for long tho. Spent the morning doing chores, and then scrubbing everyones water pail, and then took the fonts down to the pressure washer. I've done that forever, and they still look brand-new after 5 years or so.

Been catching up on the posts. Hard to hear a couple of members have heart conditions... hope all goes well, and you's get fixed up soon. Scary stuff for sure. A fellow driver, out of our bus yard died after his morning run sometime, and then they were scrambling to cover his morning route the next day, and I was the one. I thought 211 km a day driving was a record for me... well, it was, until I broke that record with 216 after that extra run. Driving that bus over our CRAPPY roads, is taking its toll on my body. After a week, I feel that I could lay down and never get up again. I've been covering another drivers run, with my friend Nancy (shes doing the north stops ... she lives out there and her run is out there), and I'm doing the east/south stops... because I live down here, and my run is somewhat close to those stops.... and it just takes so much longer. I pick my first kid up in the morning at 6:55am. I get to the school about 8:10am. Go to that extra morning run, which is an hour late by now... and get home at 9:30am. Thats if I don't have to fuel. I leave the house at 6:20am.

Speaking of turtles... doing my afternoon run, out by the Lion Safari on Cooper road, a snapping turtle was crossing the road. So... I stopped the bus (full of kids), grabbed some paper towel, and stupid thing.. I was trying to grab its tail, and it kept lunging at me, and half turning each time it did, lol.... but I finally grabbed it with my hand full of paper towel on its grungy tail, and dragged it across the road to the side it was heading to. I was backing up, and my ass went into the other lane before my head did... good thing no one was passing my bus. Didn't occur to me to look first, oh well. I didn't die. Kids are all farm/country kids... they didn't even blink an eye.

Where indeed has the summer gone. I'm so tired... and I hate the cold weather coming. This morning was only 10C... after a 30C with humidity yesterday. LOVE LOVE LOVE THE HEAT, and sitting in the house freezing now. My idiot rumba locked itself in the bathroom, I stepped out for a minute to feed the birds, and put my collected tims cups in the green house for future plantings in the spring, and realized it was spinning away in there, lol.

Garden is somewhat cleaned up. Straggler tomatoes still going. Peppers busting their branches and I do need to cut and freeze some. I never did have ONE string bean cooked, or froze.. just too busy. I did eat a few off the plants when I was out in the garden. Did MANY jars of dills. Both hot and sliced of each, and normal. Garlic was phenomenal and have bulbs set aside for planting. Potatoes were lots.. a little smaller this year, except for a few monsters.. I'm thinking they are hollow.. not too heavy... and the patch is rototilled and I need to manure it for the garlic planting. I tilled where the garlic was, and sprinkled oats for a ground cover for winter. I'm going to sprinkle oats over the garlic after planted.. and hoping it will grow enough to die back, and provide a mulch over it. Putting too much straw on the bed, either blows away for the GD mice move under it. Stupid creatures. Right now I have a chipmunk out there.. saw holes in the flower bed, ass things.

My sister backed over my live traps... which were on plywood, across from the house/driveway. I got tired of squirrels and skunks digging the complete hell out of my grass, when trying to get out. Only she would back over them. Driving a pickup truck too big for her to see out of.... and shes got NO co-ordination to use her mirrors. I'm surprized shes lived this long really.

UGH. I just realized I have a shower to go to for the neighbours girl... shes getting married soon.... and I'm to print out some recipe for some book her mom is making... and bring $10 to give buy her a food processor or something. Very gardeny people.. and her and her future hubby are such conservationalists... they both work at long point doing stuff like banding birds and stuff. And working at some garden thing/farm/stuff. Don't really know, lol. Shes also a great friend of Melissa's, and we were to go together. No reason not to go really, I can see her mom's house, where it is, from here, across the field! I guess I will go.

Melissa had her baby girl on Friday the 13th, full moon.... and was one day early from her suggested due date, lol. For 2 weeks, she was 5cm dilated and we all knew she must be going to go soon. She did the horse chores (horses moved to their new place... her husband Scott is buying the family farm, and Melissa's in-laws live right there in a more or less granny sweet next to the house). And they are actually listing their house, only 3 minutes away from me... in a week. They were going to hang onto it, but then decided its too much work, and not a good idea to let a house sit empty for too long. OLD house, but sturdy. Double lot... and a farm behind them, across from them is a tree farm. Nice. Anyhow, she did horse chores, and thought her water may have broke. When she described it to me, I said, 'you better get to the hospital quick'. She told me she was going to have a shower, tell her mother in law for their 3 year old boy Mason... and Scott was on his way home. They got to McMaster hospital around 10:30am.. got admitted, and by 11am got checked in the delivery room. No beds in wards available, and no bassinets available. Anyhow, she checked at 7cm. They walked the halls for an hour, when she told a nurse that she felt different. She felt a lot of pressure. They told her that she just got there, she probably had a while to go yet. When she insisted, by the time she got into the bed and checked at 12:10am.. the head was right there. Stupid people... anyhow, by the time they got someone ready to sit there and deliver her, and told her to push... 9 minutes later, out came baby Maren. 8Lbs, 8oz. Her first, Mason was 9lbs, 1 oz. So, he pretty much paved the way for this little girl to come so quickly. Her labour with him was only 4 hours long, and she felt NO pain from contractions at all.. and they had to tell her when to push. He must of been laying on a nerve or something. This time, she felt them all, but she said they weren't severe at all. How nice!! But with both her and her brother Dave... I was very quick, only 3.5 hours tops with both... however my first, was longer, 4 hours of hard contractions, and he was only 6lbs 8oz, lol.
Melissa and Maren.jpg
Here they are... Maren a week old! So cute.

When I was typing away, with my windows open, and the cold air blowing thru, (that I hate.. but I like airing the house of air conditioned air from yesterday..).. I heard the guinea's. They come up here, and a few times (in the past)...I had to go out and chase them back down the hill.. as they were heading too far out the lane, to the road. They were good today. Yes, the epitome of stupid they are, lol.

Guineas at window.jpg
I sent a picture in to the Ontario Farmer a while back, and low and behold, it made the front cover of the paper!! Then, the next week... Gary and Grand-daughter Grace... sitting in the tractor... made the paper again, when someone went to Portugal and took that particular paper with them, and they posted it in the 'where are you' section, lol.
western paper.jpg
Well, I'd better get ready and get some recipe printed out for this cookbook her mom is making.. and get ready to go to this. I thought I had a day to myself!! To hang laundry... clean the house/bathrooms/make pans of lasagne... make apple pies to fill the freezer.... and cut peppers?? lol.

Hope everyone has a great fall!!

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:38 pm

Wow you sound soooo busy!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:26 am

Mornin , I’m tired just reading lol .FYI
Tomorrow morn OCT 1 deer bow season opens in Ont . Good Luck to us all & good shooting.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Around the Waterer”