Good Morning! 2019

General discussion forum.
Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Bayvistafarm » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:50 am

Its cold out, but without wind, oh so nice!! Actually warmer than milder temps... that dampness I just don't care for.

After chores, we are loading our good ole Angus bull, which isn't old by any means.... but I guess we are getting out of the cattle business. Will keep 5 or so... but I will miss seeing all the calves in the spring! I think we are calving most out, but will begin dumping older cows coming January. Many of them are seniors... 14 years and up. There are quite a few young ones too. I'm keeping my April. She will be 18 this spring.

Got most shopping done. Done some baking... but eat some too. Been splitting wood, as the guys get it cut into handable stuff. I can roll some big pieces, our splitter has some side trays. But Jeremy works solid nights now, and sleeps all day. After morning chores, which he helps Gary with... hes goes to bed. And leaves for work at 10:30pm. We needed it to get colder, to bring stuff up from the bush. There of course is a lot of dead standing ash.

I'm so glad everyone has heated pails and fonts this year! Makes it so so nice, and chores are a breeze to do.

Well, hope your partner in crime gets home safely Farrier... and everyone else has a good holiday season!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:16 am

Kbr42 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:23 am
Seriously :doh:

20191219_071806.jpg
With all the technology at our fingertips, you would think somebody would come up with a way to exchange some heat units with Australia.....

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:37 pm

Argh, Hydro has scheduled a planned power outage for our area tonight from 11pm to 6am, don’t they know is going to be -16C tonight and some of us don’t have supplemental heat!!!!
Who thinks these things up? :dunno:
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:32 pm

Well I got a PM from the WayWardWolf. She has been ignoring us and never wants to come here again. I said if she didn't come back, I would come over to borrow a blunt instrument. Like I explained to her, I mostly believe in the carrot and the stick, but its winter, and we are low on carrots. She said she might consider coming back. We look forward to her pithy comment'th thoon.

Off to find another wayward wastrel woman, I need one. Going to check the airport in London, some good ones are known to hang out there looking to get picked up. See if I can get lucky.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:23 pm

Watch the elevator room they call where the older ones go in & younger ones come out .
Oh & why is WWW ignoring us ? I’m shocked . I love her food for fodder . Her witty way . Her dry humour at times hmmm . I shall wait with worms in my mouth ie baited breath . Till later
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:35 am

Well with the latest cold even the pullets stopped laying so I broke down and bought some eggs from a local farm lady! At least they aren't store eggs.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:39 pm

Yesterday my first day in probably a year (cant remember) that I did not get even one egg. But have 5 or so already today. Bright and sunny, Temp to go up to a silly 9 or something by Monday.

Catherine of the Immaculate Perception is home. I had forgotten how crabby she can be, but she is reminding me. Golly its good to have her home.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:28 pm

Brebis wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:37 pm
Argh, Hydro has scheduled a planned power outage for our area tonight from 11pm to 6am, don’t they know is going to be -16C tonight and some of us don’t have supplemental heat!!!!
Who thinks these things up? :dunno:
Wow!... Hope that the night went without serious issues, Brebis...thats just plain stupid management...I read these things and hear it on radio or tv and just shake my head...I am so glad that my tether to Ontario Hydro was severed 7 years ago...best thing I ever did and I am not looking back...it still boggles my mind that people ( when given the chance and have the finacial wherewithall) choose not to do likewise...there is no drawback and a crazy sense of security that I never had when hooked up to the grid...oh well.. :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:21 pm

In the end it didn’t happen here and though the alert said 11 pm to 6 am, it was over a large area and segments of it were out for much shorter times so not a problem. The way it was worded wasn’t very clear!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:00 pm

There yu go 👍🎅🏻
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Around the Waterer”