Good Morning! 2019

General discussion forum.
kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by kenya » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:17 am

Well @Farrier1987 My mom had a double bypass and valve replacement at 84 and handled it with flying colours. Good luck to your mom, sounds like the kind of lady my mom is, always on the go.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:25 am

Kbr42 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:20 am

I'm using heated dog bowls this year, but for years i used cookie tin dyi waters. Easy to make and install. They worked great. Never had an issue with them. Good luck!
Yes, I agree, cookie tin heated bases are very popular for sure, and we did that for one winter a while back. However, on cold nights (-15 and below) the water still froze and really didn't save us any water schlepping time. We bought a heated plastic waterer the next winter that worked very well until it met with an unfortunate end one evening when it slipped out of my hands and the reservoir broke on impact with the ground. The base was still intact though, and we discovered that the plastic waterers we use in the warmer months nest perfectly in it. It's been 3-4 winters now and it's still working well. We have made cement heated water bases for the new quail house this winter (the d'Uccles boys have the coffee mug warmer in their run ATM). There's a .25 AMP resistor encased in each base, so no fire safety risk. We're just waiting on the thermostat order so that we can finish and install them. I've heard lots of good things about heated dog bowls working well for chickens and larger birds or animals, but unfortunately they would not work in a quail pen - they would fly in, get soaked, freeze/get chilled and die. :-(
Farrier1987 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:22 am

[...]
I don't that often post family health kind of stuff, but this one I am. My 90 yr old mother has breast cancer. Fairly well contained they think, but it needs more than a lumpectomy. She thought about not doing anything, being 90, just let it do its thing. I insisted she at least go talk to the doc and see what the options were. If you do A, then B; or if you do c, then D, that sort of thing, then she could decide with some good knowledge, and I told her she had my support whatever her decision was.

Her appt was yesterday, and we talked last night. She got the information, and is going to have a mastectomy the 2 Dec. When I talked to her, she was quite upbeat, like a weight had been lifted by making the decision. She wont do chemo or radiation. I kind of enjoyed her comment though: "I had to think about it for a while, I am kind of attached to that boob." She has asked that my wife go out for a week or ten days while she has the surgery. Mom has buried two daughters, and she and my wife are close, which is nice, and Cath is going to go out to Alberta. I like it that they like each other that much. Mom is still in her own home, and this will help that stay that way for a while at least.

I do like where I live and what I do, but there are times like this, in the big scheme of things I should be closer and more available. My only real regret leaving Alberta where I grew up kind of wild with her instructions on foraging and living on stuff that didn't come from the store. At 90, she will tell me she is tired, and I ask what she did today. "Well I just took ten loaves of bread out of the oven." And I say Mom, you don't need to be doing that, and she says, its what I have always done and when I don't or cant any more, I wont be me any more. Great attitude.

I do my best when I talk to her to tell her something the dogs/horse/goats/chickens did today and it always seems to bring her up, which is the least I can do.

Anyway, it takes a lifetime, and this is part of it I guess. Not a true downer, just a part of the process, for her and for me.
Sorry to hear about your mother, @Farrier1987 . I am sending positive thoughts her way and wishing her all the very best. It sounds like she has a really good attitude, which I imagine will help her in the coming days and months. So great that she and your wife are such good friends. :-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:26 am

Best of luck to your Mum. She will need some help to manage drains and such after surgery but with an active life that's half the battle. Hopefully the hospital has access to services that can help.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:35 am

staying active is the key i think! sorry to hear of the diagnosis, but glad to hear the decisions are all good and made and she's doing well.
Cancer sucks. Good luck to your mom farrier sounds like she has a wonderful attitude!

i have never seen chickens grow feathers this fast. which is good. because even i pulled out my heavy duty winter coat this morning at a balmy -18C
WTH? this is NOVEMBER. at least all those guys growing bears for movember should have some extra insulation to keep their faces warm this year. I still have beans standing in the field for crying out loud! and our corn harvest sucked. large. at least 30 bushels an acre less than average. another gah. oh well. mother nature always wins....so i'm staying in by the woodstove.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:52 am

Kbr42 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:20 am
Jaye wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:34 am
I feel your pain too, Kbr42, although not quite as acutely as you: "only" -14 here this morning.
We are having a hard time keeping the quail waterers free-flowing longer than an hour before they freeze solid. Our DIY heated bases are still not quite ready for installation and use - we need to add a thermostat which should be arriving today. Meanwhile DH is installing the coffee mug warmer we used last winter, which works okay up to -3 and then it warms up the waterer base too much.
I'm using heated dog bowls this year, but for years i used cookie tin dyi waters. Easy to make and install. They worked great. Never had an issue with them. Good luck!
Wow, that came on fast, insulation in the cold storage not finished, temperature in there this morning was a "hard 0"
Black rubber waterers frozen half way, the "cookie tin heaters" on the calendar to instal next week ...... :sighke1:
We have been using them for years, work like a charm, but I have noticed that last couple of years, they don't need to be plugged in that often and mostly just overnight, accept for the few brutal days in January.
I did find that they need 40W light bulb, anything less and there is a ice on top of the dish and although the Ameraucanas were quite happy to break it, the Wyandottes just wait for the "room service" to deal with that. ;)

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:59 pm

What is it with the heated dog bowls ? After a year or so they don't seem to work any longer. Anyone know how to fix them?

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:19 am

you can pop the bottom off and replace the thermostat. but once the mice chew into them they're toast.
digikey is the place to order the thermostats, they come with the fins folded up, just fold them flat and unplug the black and white wires of the old thermostat, glue the new one next to it, and plug it in. then put the bottom back on (they are just clip pressure fittings-use a screwdriver to pop it off). i put mine up on bricks so the mice don't nest under it.
i have some going on 4 years old now....some pooch out after a year, but replacing the thermostats is a fraction the cost of buying new.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:55 pm

WLLady wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:19 am
you can pop the bottom off and replace the thermostat. but once the mice chew into them they're toast.
digikey is the place to order the thermostats, they come with the fins folded up, just fold them flat and unplug the black and white wires of the old thermostat, glue the new one next to it, and plug it in. then put the bottom back on (they are just clip pressure fittings-use a screwdriver to pop it off). i put mine up on bricks so the mice don't nest under it.
i have some going on 4 years old now....some pooch out after a year, but replacing the thermostats is a fraction the cost of buying new.
Ok, i took a look at that site....could you give me a hint on what to order :wave:

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:25 pm

if you can open your not working dish the thermostat will be a round piece with a number stamped on it. just search for that number and it should come up. i cant find my leftover one....argh!! i will see if i can find the order info

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:54 am

I will set up the Poll for Photos on Monday so if anyone has any please submit before then.
Thx
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”