Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by JimW » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:35 am

kenya wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:52 pm
Kbr42 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:45 am
Mark this day on your calendar...I have 0 broody silkies for the first time this summer :stars:
Mine have not stopped, silly girls.
Mine are still going strong sitting on nothing... 2 BC marans, 2 legbar, 2 mosaic and 2 ayam cemani hens, all broody. Hopefully they give up soon. I am moving birds to new pens over the next few weeks so hopefully that helps. My mature turkeys are all moulting, they are starting to look good, but the turkey pens look like a bird exploded.... so many feathers everywhere.

I had been on my various meds for my angina and blood vessel blockage. I really hope my body adjust to them soon. The worst one seems to be the Nitro patch, I feel fine for half the day, then serious head ache kicks in around 1-2 pm and I am done for the day. :( I have gone back to eating healthy down a few pounds, so that is good.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:43 am

I hope you're right as rain soon Jim.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:48 am

@JimW hope you get an appt. to fix it soon!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:05 am

My doc said if gets to bad before surgery scheduled pack your bag go to hospital alone & say here I is fix me not goin home till done . Luck buddy . In today’s system the squeakiest wheel DOES get the grease .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:37 pm

We had a much needed good soaking of rain here this morning.
Does anyone who raises quail on the ground treat their birds for parasites like you would treat your chickens, with Ivermectin? Just asking because this is the first time we've actually had ours on the ground. Their previous pen is 3' above ground with a deep tray in the run section with wood chip bedding, so not actually in contact with soil.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:22 pm

good morning all! jim, i hope you are feeling better soon. dr put me on beta blockers for my afib and i have gained 10 pounds by eating less....not sure how that works, but 10 pounds in a month sucks. And, to top it off, i've been watching what i'm eating and working out as much as i can but my blood pressure and heart rate are so low....sigh. i have to watch that i don't pass out by picking something up off the floor! argh! double argh! i got a phone call yesterday that i have a cardiology appointment this next week, so hopefully they can get me back to something that is workable....

stepdaughter is visiting, and we booked a charter out of erieau for fishing. we got home limited out in just over 5 hours, with 2 hours of driving in there LOL. 18 walleye, one beautiful rainbow trout and 3 steelhead. wow. just wow. the charter we took was great, and everyone else there started going out once they saw his boat was out. and then there were 20 boats all fishing all around us. go figure. the guy knew exactly where the fish were, and within 3 minutes of setting the first rod we had fish on. So spent a couple hours when we got home filleting fish. yum. fish for dinner tonight! but man o'man the swells this morning were bigger than anything i'd ever boated in before and about 45 minutes in both me and stepdaughter were taking gravol....glad i took some! now, unfortunately i am nursing an exhausted back, and trying to get jam made.
made 2 batches of jam last night, and another 2 just now....so now it's time to oust the ants that we found in the cupboard under the sink (argh!) and get working on lectures for my course I'm teaching starting next week. looking forward to teaching, haven't done classroom teaching for a long time now.
still fussing about my current full time job, and seriously considering the risk of working part time for a couple of years....hm. beautiful weather today, i hope the weekend is just as nice!
oh, and thank you @clawton for the ducks! added 3 hens and a drake-muscovies to my current pair. they were so fun to watch when we introduced my 2 to the new 4.....lots of tail wagging and no fighting at all. just a bit of talking and walking around in circles LOL.
hope everyone has a super good weekend.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:38 pm

WLLady sounds like a good day on the water.... can't beat Lake Erie walleye. When I was down visiting my family a couple weeks ago it was too rough plus thunder storms so I did not get out on the water. But I did make it out on Erie 4 times this summer. The fish have been on fire all summer, my buddy and I go out of Port Glascow, we usually get a 4 or 5 person limit (depending on number of people in the boat) in 3 to 4 hours of fishing. Now I want walleye for dinner.

I moved a few grow out birds around today, I had 3 legbar cockerels I got from another breeder I have been raising to select one for breeding next year, of course the best looking one gets away and heads off into the bush when I am moving them, hopefully he comes back this evening.

I seem to be adjusting to my meds, head aches decreased a lot the last couple days. Well back outside to do a bit of work before dark.

Happy Labor Day weekend everyone!!
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:46 am

Good morning,
Celebrated Labour day by doing as little as possible, Garden seems to be doing it's own thing after laborious summer, so happy to let it get on with it without my contribution, one potato hill is nodding at me, but just got a lovely basket of Ontario potatoes, so will let mine "age in place".
The chicken run looks like a duvet exploded in there, the whole lot of them look pretty pathetic even Mactavish the old man seems to be going bold although it doesn't seem to stop his amorous attempts.
Mornings are getting pretty cool, I guess a hint of things to come.
Have a sunny one!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:10 pm

Good morning.
I spent the last evening of the Labour day weekend in emergency at Winchester hospital. I sliced a nice big gash between the thumb and forefinger of my right hand with a knife that never did travel straight. Lucky I didn't cut off my thumb entirely. I was in a big rush to get some sauerkraut put up. Stupid. I came home with several stitches in a hand that won't be functional for at least a week, but no apparent tendon damage, thank goodness.
So much for finally getting the quail males sorted and into their bachelor pen this weekend (they will be 8 weeks old). At least I got the fall chicken coop clean-out done this past Sunday. Just in time for the fall moult. :sAng_banghead:
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:27 pm

AGHHHH Jaye. Glad it wasn't worse and that you heal fast, but please throw out that knife before you do any more damage to yourself!

Return to “Around the Waterer”